The Galeria Boulevard, a classic shopping gallery in the gritty center of São Paulo, is known around the city as a mecca for vinyl collectors. Dozens of record stores line its upper floor, but one in particular stands out from the crowd: Cel-Som Discos and its charismatic owner, Celso Marcílio, who lost his sight 20 years ago.
For the last ten years, 51-year-old Celso has run his store with the help of his wife and became famous for reportedly having the ability to recognize his collection by using only his sense of touch.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When The Culture Trip met with Celso, on a sweltering São Paulo afternoon, he tried to play down his extraordinary talent. “I’ve always been disorganized, which is really bad for a disabled person”, he explained. “My wife organizes the records, so I always know where they are.”
Despite his modesty however, it is clear that Celso does in fact have an extremely refined sense of touch when it comes to his collection. “Some records have certain characteristics, so when I’m putting them away, I can identify them.” Examples of these minute details he is able to recognize range from the thickness of the record or its sleeve, to labels on the cover or even whether the record itself has been damaged or repaired. “There are things that, when looking at the records, you don’t notice. For people who can see, it looks difficult, but for someone who cannot see, it’s not difficult at all.”
Previously having worked in the financial sector, Celso lost his sight after a work-related accident and retired at the early age of 31. He decided to open a second-hand store where he stocked books, CDs, vinyl records, DVDs and comics, but after struggling to manage the entire shop by himself, he decided to focus on music – in particular, vinyl – and opened Cel-Som Discos in 2007.
Celso had always been interested in music, but it was only after losing his sight that he truly fell in love with the artform. “Music is the primordial sound of the creation of the world, the world is made of sounds, everything is connected to music.”
When asked about his dreams, Celso’s eyes light up. “This is another advantage of being blind, I dream every day, and almost every day I remember my dreams. I dream in color, I see people I’ve never seen before in my life”, he laughs. Music also plays a big part in Celso’s dreams. “Sometimes I dream about records that don’t even exist, and I create these wild psychedelic album covers for them.”
Besides being able to identify his records, there are other signals Celso is able to pick up on which often go unnoticed by the naked eye. “There are people who come in and shake my hand and I’ll be able to identify who it is (…) by the texture of the hand, by the way they squeeze your hand”. He is also known for recognizing customers just by the sound of their footsteps. “Everyone walks with a different beat”, he explained.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.