Hidden deep in the Amazon jungle is a little-known beach destination with stunning white sandy stretches that even rival those of Brazil’s famous north coast. Life is undeniably laid back in the quaint riverside town of Alter do Chão, with little more to do than kick back on the beach and enjoy the views. Here’s everything you need to know about a visit to the region.
Situated on a major tributary of the Amazon river between Belem and Manaus, Alter do Chão’s isolation is a large part of its appeal and the primary reason it receives relatively few visitors. A lack of roads in the region means the only way to get there is by riverboat or by air.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Boat: All ships stop at the nearby port of Santarém. There isn’t much to do here and the city doesn’t have the best reputation so most travelers make a beeline for the bus station and jump on the next bus to Alter do Chão. These run all day and cost just a few Reias.
From Manaus, riverboats leave every few days and cost 125 BRL (US$40) for a bed in a cabin, 75 BRL (US$23) for a hammock on deck, and 85 BRL (US$26) for an indoor hammock with air conditioning. The journey to Santarém takes about a day and a half.
Coming from Belem, expect to pay 200 BRL (US$63) for a bed in a cabin, 120 BRL (US$37) for an outdoor hammock, and 150 BRL (US$47) for an indoor hammock with air conditioning. A trip between Belem and Santarém takes around three days.
Before heading off on an epic riverboat journey, read our article on how to prepare and what to expect. Amazon Star Tourismo hosts an online departure schedule, though things are obviously subject to change in this part of the world.
Flight: GOL, TAM and AZUL all offer various daily flights between Santarém and Belem or Manaus. Prices tend to be fairly reasonable, but try to book as far in advance as possible to keep costs down.
See and Do
The jewel in Alter do Chão’s crown is the stunning Ilha do Amor, a natural white sandy peninsula that stretches towards the town. As the most picturesque beach in the region, a number of basic restaurants have set up shop to sell fish, beer, and coconut water to beach-goers. Get here by either swimming from town or paying a local to take you in a canoe (5 BRL/US$1.50). Note that the beach gets smaller and smaller before becoming entirely submerged under the river during the wet season (January to June). The dry season (July to December) also sees very few mosquitoes, so it’s clearly the best time to go.
It’s possible to charter a fishing boat to take you around to other islands in the area while you search for wildlife such as playful river dolphins. A half-day trip costs around 150 BRL (US$47) for up to four people.
Budget: Just a few meters from the shore, Iguanas Camping provides budget travelers with space to pitch a tent or a hammock for just BRL 20 (US$6) per night. Onsite facilities include reasonably clean shared bathrooms and a kitchen. A little further down the jungle track is Albergue da Floresta which has camping and cabins to rent.
Iguanas Redário e Camping, Tv. Copacabana, Santarém – PA, Brazil +55 93 99172-6649
lbergue da Floresta, Alter do Chão – State of Pará, Brazil +55 93 99211-6566
A post shared by Diário do meu Caminho (@caminho.da.angel) on Dec 5, 2016 at 5:14am PST
Midrange: Clean, respectable and right on the lake bed, some of the rooms in Belas Praias Pousada even overlook the picture perfect Ilha do Amor.
Right on the main plaza, Arco Iris Da Amazônia serves up delectable Brazilian style meat, fish, and shrimp dishes with a variety of tasty sides. Check out their onsite eco-handicrafts store for the perfect souvenir.
Vegetarians rejoice, for Alter do Chão has a top class meat-free restaurant. Siriá is only open for lunch and cooks up just one dish per day, putting an end to the age old conundrum of having to decide what to eat. Whatever, the daily special may be, it’s bound to taste delicious.
Siriá Bistro Vegetariano, Tv. Antônio Agostinho Lobato, 1-39, Santarém – PA, Brazil +55 93 99217-2034
A post shared by Patricia Helu (@patriciahelu) on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:08am PDT
The most scenic place for lunch is at one of the many thatched roofed restaurants that line Ilha do Amor. Each set up plastic tables and chairs in the river so diners can enjoy a unique aquatic experience as they feast on the day’s freshly caught fish.
For a pleasant albeit somewhat upmarket place for a drink, check out the stylish Kixiki Lounge Bar. Located on a secluded beach to the west of town, funky wooden furniture and creative cocktails attract a well-heeled clientele.
Kixiki Lounge Bar, Santarém – PA, 68109-000, Brazil +55 93 99102-0222
For the most scenic spot for a sunset tipple, the restaurants on Ilha do Amor have an endless supply of ice-cold beer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.