From a jade-green spa to a floating bar, INSIDE World Festival of Interiors has announced the diverse range of 78 projects that are up for the prestigious award of World Interior of the Year 2017. Here are some of the most striking designs from the shortlist.
Creative re-use category | anySCALE Architecture Design Consultants | Soho 3Q Bund | Shanghai, China
The new SOHO Bund office space is based on Bund’s art deco heritage, with custom interior furnishings designed to reflect the era – the glamorous staircase, with its reflective bronze panelling and striking angular design, is the star of the show.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bars & restaurants category | WOW Architects | Warner Wong Design The Whale Bar | Maldives
WOW Architects is really living up to its name with this Whale Bar, designed for the Vommuli Island resort. The luxurious design takes its inspiration from the rich marine life surrounding the island, including the whale-shark-shaped bar.
Residential category | O2 Design Atelier | Courtyard House @ Sungai Buloh | Kelana Jaya, Malaysia
At the heart of this open-plan Courtyard House are two trees and shrubs, so the family can be surrounded by nature wherever they are in the home. The double-height space is clad in a cement render to highlight the interplay between natural light and shadow, with flashes of green that mimic the lush greenery surrounding the property.
Civic, culture & transport category | Eric Parry Architects | 5–7 St Helen’s Place with The Leathersellers’ Hall | London, UK
This new seventh hall of the Leatherseller’s Company, which has been on the site since the 16th century, includes this incredible dining hall – richly panelled in black walnut, while clerestory windows look towards the church wall above.
Health & education category | PAL Design Group | NUBO | Sydney, Australia
This utterly charming and playful design is designed to encourage children to interact with it and explore the space. It’s deliberately designed with a minimalist aesthetic to let the kids’ imaginations run free, rather than bombard them with too much furniture, colour and equipment. Various zones include a library, activity area where they can ‘slide, climb and hide’, plus a cafe where they can make their own healthy meals.
Hotels category | Maos Design | Nimman Spa | Shanghai, China
Underneath the shopping mall of Shanghai you can escape to a sanctuary of tropical greens in the form of the Nimman Spa. A lush palette of greens were used for the design, with a range of textures used to dress the space including striking bespoke tiles, terrazzo, marble, leather, metal and concrete.
Civic, culture & transport category | Zaha Hadid Architects | Mathematics: The Winton Gallery | London, UK
This new gallery at London’s Science Museum displays a whole host of intriguing historical artefacts that showcase inventions and innovations that have helped shaped the world today. At the heart of the gallery is the Handley Page ‘Gugnunc’ aeroplane, which inspired Zaha Hadid’s striking aerodynamic design and fluid nature of the building itself.
Display category | Produce workshop | Fabricwood | Singapore
The centrepiece of this stunning Herman Miller store is undoubtedly the incredible, ‘tailored’ plywood-skin ceiling, which stretches across the entire 20×7-metre (66×23-foot) space. To create the overall look of textured fabric, the plywood has been looped together using a traditional tailoring technique called ‘darting’.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.