The towns in the state of Santa Catarina are truly diverse. On the coast you will be treated to stereotypical Brazil – golden beaches, samba, and sun-kissed locals. Move inland and you swap caipirinhas for beers, sparkling beaches for rolling hills, and latin flare for German precision. Here are some splendid Santa Catarina towns.
Approaching the northern border with the state of Parana, the Itapocu River empties into the ocean and creates a sandbar and thin pocket of water that leads all the way down to the town of Barra Velha. Here you will find a community that is not quite a city, but not a small town, settling right in between. It has a relaxed vibe, and great strip of beach with the waterway just beside the ocean creating a peaceful natural swimming pool.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lagoa da Conceição
The island of Florianopolis, or ‘Floripa’ is home to a conglomeration of towns sprinkled around the island and one of the favourites is simply referred to as Lagoa. You are treated to a gorgeous view of the tranquil lake from almost anywhere in town, including great coffee shops, restaurants, and activities like kiteboarding, windsurfing, paddle boarding and even sandboarding.
Barra da Lagoa
The lake that centers the island empties through a slow moving, but powerful river that bends and twists its way through the shanty town houses built on the water’s edge. It then empties out into the ocean right at the beautiful beach, in the center of the equally handsome town. As with many things on the coast, everything revolves around the water and the whole town seems to be right where the river and ocean meet as the restaurants, bars and cafes all peer out to the stunning view.
This is the Brazilian equivalent to a place like Surfers Paradise in Australia, where it revolves less around the surf, and more around the nightlife. Highrises line the shore, which makes for a happening little metropolis that also provides a great strip of beach for nursing that hangover. A few caipirinhas from one of the vendors to help you forget the lesson last night should have taught you, and you’ll be feeling good enough to repeat!
If the thought of bustling Balneário Camboriú makes you a little uneasy, then you are most likely a Garopaba person. On the other side of Florianópolis than Balneário, Garopaba is a tourist destination that has remained authentic in that it is not all lined with sunglasses shops and themed bars. This place gives the feeling that you are being welcomed into a residential town, that just happens to contain a terrific beach, lined with restaurants and bars.
It will take you a few buses to get here, certainly not the easiest place to get to, but the kill is worthy of the hunt as you are treated to a few towns, beaches, and hikes. Bombas is the biggest part of the town on the northern side of the peninsula with a giant strip of beach, and over the hill is the smaller town of Bombinhas, also, with a beautiful stretch of golden sand. Continue over another big hill and you hit Praia Mariscal, a residential area built on the most vacant beach in the area, which ends at a must visit trail up Cerro Macaco.
The town of Blumenau is quite possibly the most German place in all of Latin America. Blumenau is the center of the Vale Europeu which looks more like part of Bavaria, than Brasilia, so much so, that the town is actually home to the 3rd largest Oktoberfest in the world.
On a smaller scale than Blumenau, Pomerode is another town that has been painted with a very European brush and is right in the heart of the European Valley of Santa Catarina. Breweries, bars, German architecture, and beautiful rolling hills make up the town that gives Blumenau a run for its money as most pleasing town in Santa Catarina.
If you’ve done your research on Santa Catarina, this place may not have popped up, but the name Praia do Rosa will probably ring a bell, as it is one of the most popular beaches in the southern part of the state. The town closest to Praia do Rosa is that of Ibiraquera and its dusty, sandy, unpaved roads are a perfect, laid back compliment to the beach that is also as untouched as you could hope for.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.