Despite being largely cut off from the rest of the country, tourism is booming in the isolated jungle city of Manaus. Located right in the heart of the Amazon rainforest, backpackers arrive here in droves to explore the sights and sounds of the world’s largest ecosystem. A smattering of cool budget haunts have sprung up to meet demand, so here’s Culture Trip’s take on the best cheap lodging in the city.
Hanuman Hostel Manaus
A true home away from home, the friendly owner of Hanuman Hostel goes out of his way to make guests feel at ease. With funky Indian and Amazonian themed dorm rooms, a stylish swimming pool with a water fountain, a chill-out space with Netflix and a generous “pay what you think it’s worth” philosophy, it’s little wonder travelers rave about the place. Although it may not be in the city center, excellent facilities and warm hospitality make Hanuman justifiably worthwhile.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Local Hostel Manaus
Just a stone’s throw away from the Opera House, this centrally located hostel is a hit with backpackers for its colorful artwork, funky minimalist decor, spacious rooms and privacy-inducing pod dorms. Air conditioning runs overnight to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep while a filling buffet breakfast (10BRL/US$3 extra) is the perfect way to start the day.
As the original youth hostel in the city, this Australian-operated joint has been welcoming backpackers since 2006. Set in a heritage-listed 19th-century mansion from the old rubber boom days, the hostel boasts well-appointed dorm rooms, a reasonably priced in-house travel agency and a pleasant rooftop beer garden for an idyllic afternoon tipple. It’s on a quiet, residential street just a short walk from the city’s main attractions.
A post shared by Local Hostel Manaus (@localhostel) on Oct 1, 2017 at 7:09pm PDT
Ajuricaba Backpackers Hostel Manaus
A solid budget option on the very edge of the city center, this no-nonsense hostel offers all the budget traveler necessities such as a central location, a well-equipped kitchen, clean dorms rooms and wi-fi. The property only has four rooms, however, so don’t expect a buzzing social atmosphere.
Hotel Central Manaus
Sleeping in dorm rooms with a dozen other smelly backpackers gets old after a while, so why not splash out on a semi-respectable hotel once in a while? Numerous options abound, although Hotel Central Manaus is one of the best value digs in town thanks to its central location and well-appointed modern rooms. At 110 BRL (US$35) per double, it works out to be just marginally more expensive than a hostel for a traveling couple.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.