Absorb yourself in Brazil’s extraordinary ecosystems via its stunning array of ecoresorts on the Atlantic coast, and all bookable with Culture Trip.
The wilds of Brazil aren’t limited to the Amazon. The Atlantic coast is backed by rolling sand dunes, cactus deserts and jungle-swathed mountains. There are thousands of beautiful beaches: coconut-palm shaded coves, turtle-nested sands and huge bays backed by vast mangrove forests. Large stretches are protected as national or state parks, others as private reserves. Ecotourism in Brazil is concentrated here, with many beautiful small hotels in natural surrounds, a few of which are genuinely conservational.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With some of the best surf beaches in northeast Brazil and a string of bays and coves backed by steamy rainforest, the Chocolate Coast in Bahia has long been a popular destination with wealthy surfers from São Paulo. Txai is the most luxurious resort in the region – with large, thatched bungalows with four-poster beds and wooden sundecks set in a palm grove on a secluded beach. The spa is one of the best in Brazil and the hotel supports local environmental education programs.
North of Fortaleza city in the northeastern Ceará state, long broad beaches are backed by wind-swept dunes. At the village of Taíba they stretch many kilometers inland – forming a mini desert. Carmel Taíba sits between the dunes and a long curve of beach – neo-Frank Lloyd Wright glass-fronted villas faced with raw stone watch over the sea from a palm-tree garden, infinity pool merging with the horizon.
The interior of the southern Santa Catarina state is wrinkled with rainforest-covered ridges that plunge towards the beach-fringed coastal plain in a series of deep valleys and canyons. The Rio do Rastro Eco Resort sits at their heart – in rolling hills, next to a lake a few minutes’ drive from a series of spectacular mountain-view points. Rooms are farmhouse comfortable in faux-European cottages with roaring fires and are popular in the winter when temperatures plunge to around 53F (12C) – almost Arctic for Brazilians.
Popular with weekenders from São Paulo city, this ranch-house resort (with accommodation in glass-walled bungalows in bucolic surrounds) offers light adventure for families. There’s a large pool, a sports play area and lots of activities suitable for children of all ages – including horse riding, rope-bridge walking, tennis and soccer. The resort uses solar power, recycles water and waste and supports local educational projects.
Overlooking the Juqueri river on the edge of the Serra da Cantareira mountains less than an hour’s drive from metropolitan São Paulo, Cheiro de Mato is a family-orientated weekend escape from urbanity. Rooms are set in a shady tropical garden, painted in muted tones and with hammocks on the balconies. There’s a large pool and lots of activities – including assault courses for kids, rope bridge walks in the trees, hiking, paddleboarding and waterskiing on the lake.
Flanked by dense forest on one side and pristine shores on the other, Itamambuca Eco Resort is surrounded by natural habitats rich in wildlife. The coast is clean and tropical, home to dolphins, turtles and rare fish species. You can get deep into nature by pitching a tent on the camp grounds, or get comfortable in one of the apartments or bungalows. Whichever you choose, there are plenty of opportunities to explore the wild, with river kayaking tours, guided hikes and surf lessons available.
Set in the heart of the Atlantic Forest, Paraíso Eco Lodge enjoys a stunning position best enjoyed from the many hikes and trails that surround it. The lodge was built to be as sustainable and ecofriendly as possible, constructed from leftover industrial and indigenous materials. Even better? It sits in a nature sanctuary with waterfalls, luscious vegetation and remarkable wildlife.
Kilombo embraces a prime spot next to a secluded beach with daily offerings of fresh seafood, water sports (kayaking, surfing and sailing,) and outstanding marine-life watching. You’ll also find sea turtle breeding grounds here. While they’re fiercely protected, if you’re lucky you might see one of these endangered animals for yourself. There are also plenty of dolphins swimming the coastline.
Alex Robinson contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.