Known as a foodie hotspot, São Paulo has a vast selection of restaurants. Alongside the variety of international cuisines, one type of establishment has grown more than all others: the good old-fashioned American burger joint. Here’s a selection of the city’s best burgers.
Since the 1980s, this classic Jewish deli has been serving in the neighborhood of Jardins and has recently opened a new address in Pinheiros. While not limiting itself to being a burger joint (they serve an excellent pastrami sandwich as well as a superb beef tongue on rye), Z Deli has garnered a reputation for being one of the best spots in São Paulo to go for a quality burger.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Because of its popularity, both Z Delis are usually quite busy, so try to go for a seat at the counter instead of waiting an eternity for a table. Alternatively, if it’s a nice day, take your food outside and enjoy the sun with a burger and a cold draft beer.
They serve plenty of classics, but do not by any means miss out on the Black Burger, which is a patty topped with bone marrow and a roti sauce. It’s messy, and it’s heavenly. Have it with a side of Z Deli’s pastrami fries and thank us later.
Rua Haddock Lobo 1386, Jardins, São Paulo, Brazil, +55 11 3083 0021
Rua Francisco Leitão 16, Pinheiros, São Paulo, Brazil, +55 11 2305 2200
The restaurant is small, so expect a wait if you’re going at dinner time. With outside seating, it is a great spot for a late lunch with one of their excellent selection of craft beers. Oh, and they deliver if you fancy staying in.
The patties are thin, yet incredibly juicy and flavorful, and served with a delicious homemade tomato sauce and mayonnaise. Order an X-bacon salada(the Brazilian way of saying bacon cheeseburger), grab a spot at the counter and enjoy. You might want to order two if you’re hungry, after all, you’re only paying roughly US$4 for each sandwich, so go nuts.
There isn’t much to choose from on the menu (either a hamburger, cheeseburger or bacon cheeseburger) but all three are very impressive. Considering it is situated in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city, being able to buy two burgers, fries and two drinks for R$46 (about US$14) makes this a great option for a quick lunch or a weekend dinner.
Having opened in 2006, St. Louis was one of the pioneers of the popularization of gourmet burger joints in São Paulo. When most places in town served simple cheeseburgers, St. Louis came along with their thick, juicy patties and blew the competition out of the water. They have a good selection of gourmet burgers, with one of the house favorites being the Blue: a delicious 8 oz patty topped with arugula, blue cheese and a delicious homemade onion chutney. For vegetarians, they also do an excellent veggie burger which can be swapped in in the place of any of their regular beef burgers.
Rua Padre João Manuel 974, Jardins, São Paulo, Brazil, +55 11 2368 6192
Not satisfied with the Bad Mofo, last year they by all accounts took things too far with the Ezekiel 25:17: five quarter-pound patties, an abundance of bacon, cheddar, mozzarella, crispy onions and salad (pictured above). These things aside, if you go for the more conservative and manageable options on the menu, Big Kahuna actually serves some excellent and well thought-out burgers.
For bacon lovers, try the Bacon Porn burger (that seems a bit obvious…), an 8oz patty filled with Monterrey Jack cheese and wrapped in streaky bacon. It is as delicious as it sounds and has the added benefit of being edible with two hands.
A good call here is to go for the Lumberjack burger: two Black Angus patties, cheese, pickles, bacon and a delicious sauce.
A favorite of the region, Frank & Charles has been open in Higienópolis for many years and has attracted a faithful customer base. Over time they have expanded their menu to include breakfast options, but don’t mess around here and stick to the burgers.
Frank & Charles prides itself on serving 100% Angus patties on freshly-made buns, meaning that no matter what you order, you’ll end up with a satisfying sandwich. They also have a delicious range of homemade mayonnaise used on several of their burgers, such as the basil mayo which accompanies their fries (you could eat this stuff with a spoon, honestly) or the Sriracha mayo which comes on the Jimmy Curry burger, accompanying a juicy beef patty, Monterrey Jack cheese and chimichurri.
If you’re looking for something a little more extravagant, go for their Cheese N’ Burger, a hamburger in between two grilled cheese sandwiches, à la secret menu at Five Guys.
Rua Tinhorão 130, Higienópolis, São Paulo, Brazil, +55 11 3624 8763
The menu here is extremely uncomplicated. Go for the cheeseburger, which is simple and incredible, having been grilled on the parrillaright in front of you. The grillmaster is notoriously sniffy about the doneness of the meat, so only come here if you’re OK with medium-rare (bordering on rare) patties. Asking for anything above medium may result in a Soup Nazi-esque situation. You have been warned.
Burger Joint, the underground Manhattan chain known for its delicious, no-fuss burgers and walls covered in customers’ scrawls, hidden inside the Parker Meridien hotel, has opened a location in São Paulo. The idea is the same: there are the same graffitied walls, the same neon signs, and the same delicious burgers in an understated location. Order The Works and be happy.
Rua Bela Cintra 2116, Jardins, São Paulo, Brazil, +55 11 2495 1019
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.