For those who dream of swimwear-clad days on golden beaches yet with all the amenities of a thriving city, Rio de Janeiro could be the perfect destination for a romantic honeymoon. Whether you want samba-fueled nights in underground bars or long hikes through exotic forests, Rio de Janeiro has something for every couple. Here are the best boutique hotels in Rio de Janeiro for your honeymoon, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Toile-covered furniture and wallpaper feature throughout the exquisite L’homme de Rio Boutique Hotel, bringing a touch of historic France to this modern Brazilian haven. Nestled between the two iconic neighborhoods of Ipanema and Copacabana, you won’t be short of white sand and blue waters here. If you’d prefer to bask in the coastal views from above, head to the Pikok Rooftop, which is surrounded by poolside cabanas and sun loungers. The suites blend pared-back luxury with pops of Carioca color and art, complementing the palmy seaside vistas.
Set in the vibrant and artistic Bairro da Lapa, Vila Galé has both something old and something new. Its 292 rooms are divided across two wings: the Collection Wing, a restored 19th-century palace with historic suites; and the Lapa Towers Wing, offering a more contemporary touch. The romantic, pink-and-white facade leads through to the glimmering pool and courtyard, complete with luxurious loungers. Toast your newlywed life over a signature Rio on the Beach cocktail from one of the two bars, or indulge in a romantic Italian-inspired dinner at Massa Fina restaurant.
The award-winning Janeiro Hotel is set on the swanky beach of Leblon. Each of the 51 apartment suites boasts a framed view of the ocean, to be enjoyed while lying in bed. The furnishings are made from sustainable Freijo wood, and the white sheets and walls ensure that the light from the beach floods in. The two restaurants, Cedilha and Janeiro, honor the proximity of Rio to the sea and mountains by serving fresh and seasonal produce. To take your honeymoon to the next level, head up to the rooftop for panoramic views and a dip in the pool, ideally with a caipirinha cocktail in hand.
With its nods to nature and artisanal craft, Vila Santa Teresa is the perfect spot to start your married life. Built as a private hilltop family residence, the property’s been reimagined as a detail-oriented hotel that maintains the intimacy of a family home. The seven spacious suites let the natural light and far-reaching views speak for themselves, and you can enjoy breakfast on the pool deck overlooking the city or from the comfort of your room. For some post-wedding pampering, head to the serene spa for a soothing massage using natural and ethically sourced products.
Palm fronds and a stone-framed pool overlooking the city await you at Le Chateaux Joá. Its five spacious suites are surrounded by views of the mountains, city or beach and include immaculate Egyptian cotton sheets and L’Occitane or Bulgari toiletries for the ultimate post-nuptial elegance. Start your day with fresh fruit and a coffee while lounging in your suite or taking in the views from the deck, before ambling down the hill and heading to the glistening shores of nearby Joatinga beach.
A grand mansion with 19th-century colonial architecture in the heart of Santa Teresa, the boutique Mama Ruisa hotel manages to blend the romance of timeless style with the cool of the modern, making it an ideal setting for a honeymoon retreat. Displayed throughout are a number of drawings by Jean Cocteau, as well as religious sculptures collected from around Brazil. Inside the hotel, elegant furnishings sit within spacious rooms, all with views looking out onto the Guanabara Bay and Sugarloaf Mountain.
A converted mansion in the hills of Santa Teresa, the Santa Teresa Hotel is surprisingly large, yet its rustic architecture and contemporary style give the impression of both a relaxed and luxurious guesthouse, creating a more memorable setting for a honeymoon than a multistory hotel. The hotel is surrounded by a tranquil garden with colorful flowers, plenty of palms, and a swimming pool complete with a cocktail bar and sun loungers. Enjoy cozy evenings taking in the panoramic view from the garden, or relax for pampering sessions at the fully-equipped spa.
Despite rising competition from other luxurious and more modern hotels, Copacabana Palace remains the most iconic hotel in Rio de Janeiro. It has maintained its classic style with polished marble floors that run throughout the hotel, Brazilian wood finishings, and black-and-white photos of famous legends (and past guests) hanging up on the wall. The elegant rooms and round-the-clock room service provide a romantic setting for honeymooning couples, who can also enjoy sunny days at the glamorous swimming pool or on the slice of Copacabana Beach reserved exclusively for guests.
For honeymoon couples who want to escape from the tourist traps of Rio, La Suite by Dussol provides a secluded haven in the jungle-covered hills of Joá. Boasting several A-list celebrities as past guests, the total privacy and the infinity pool with ocean views make it easy to see why it’s popular among those looking for peace and exclusivity. The contemporary interior design is softened with a collection of antiques, which have been the inspiration for several fashion shoots. Service that finds the fine balance between being attentive and discreet will make couples feel they have paradise to themselves.
The Emiliano Hotel in Copacabana – the same brand as the Emiliano in São Paulo – oozes exclusivity and excellence, and its striking panel facade brings a modern edge to the otherwise traditional neighborhood. The sophisticated marble decor with wooden furnishings and the living wall of the restaurant are wonderful touches and provide a pleasant setting to relax in for your honeymoon. On the rooftop, a central swimming pool, well-stocked bar, comfy sun loungers and attentive staff will cater to your every need, ensuring you and your partner feel well and truly spoiled.
Laura Field contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.