Brazil is riddled with mighty caverns, sunken depressions and mysterious underground cavities. The country’s caves continue to inspire curiosity with their compelling secrets, what has been discovered so far includes phenomenal natural beauty, cathedral-like chambers and subterranean forests. Here are some of Brazil’s most epic caves.
Caverna de Santana
Located in the Alto Ribeira Tourist State Park, the Caverna de Santana is the longest cave in the state of Sao Paulo. The cave is considered among the most beautiful in the world due to the thousands of aragonite ‘flowers’ clutching the walls. These formations are the result of complex biological and physical processes that create crystal deposits of carbonate minerals. The cave is approximately 8,373 meters long.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Abismo Guy Collet
In one of the most remote and rural parts of Brazil, Abismo Guy Collet is in the north of Brazil close to the border with Venezuela. With a depth of 671 meters, it is the deepest cave in South America and the deepest in the world formed by quartzite. It was explored for the first time in 2006 and most of the cave still remains untouched.
Poço Encantado and Poço Azul
Two of the most striking water caves in Brazil, Poço Encantado and Poço Azul have crystal clear water so transparent, it gives the impression the pools are empty. The water is, in fact, an electric blue color which is enhanced by the natural light seeping through a gap in the cavern. Both caves are near to the Chapada Diamantina National Park in Bahia. Poço Azul has significant historical importance as the bones of a giant sloth were found there, alongside other prehistoric animals.
Gruta de Maquiné
Located in the state of Minas Gerais, Gruta de Maquiné is the oldest cave in Brazil. The huge cave has seven chambers complete with lighting, handrails and walkways so that visitors can safely explore inside. In addition to extraordinary rock formations and looming stalagmites, the area is also a region of paleontological importance. The remains of a large woolly mammoth were found inside, alongside huge fossilized birds and the ancient remains of our human ancestors.
Gruta Olhos d’Água
The fourth-longest cave in Brazil, Gruta Olhas d’Agua is located in the state of Minas Gerais and is over 9,100 meters long. It features impressive rock structures such as limestone formations up to 1,000 meters long. A unique ecosystem has managed to thrive in the chambers of the cave, including species of bats, spiders and an unusual breed of depigmented crickets.
Gruta de Ubajara
Located in the state of Ceara, Gruta de Ubajara is considered one of the most beautiful caves in Brazil. At 1,120 meters long and with nine enormous chambers, it is a mighty cave formed by limestone. To get to the cave, visitors can take a cable car that descends into the cave over a 535 meter-deep cavity. The cave is situated inside a national park that is rich with a complex ecosystem of incredible fauna and flora, making it an ideal setting for exploring the untouched landscapes and wildlife spotting.
Toca da Boa Vista
Located in the state of Bahia, Toca da Boa Vista is the longest cave in the Southern Hemisphere, with 120 kilometers of mapped passages. Many fossil records have been discovered in this cave, including an extraordinary collection of well-preserved skeletons from several extinct species. Its rural and isolated location has prevented it from becoming a tourist spot and it remains an important area of immense scientific value.
Gruta do Janelão
Located in the Cavernas do Peruacu National Park in Minas Gerais, this limestone cave is the largest in the region stretching horizontally to a total of 4,740 meters. The cave is riddled with small crevices and skylights which allow natural light to seep through. As a result, mini forests have grown around the Peruaçu River that runs through the cave, creating a unique ecosystem combining forest wildlife and plants with cave-dwelling creatures. The cave also features an enormous 28-meter long stalactite.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.