Brazilian cuisine tends to be somewhat overshadowed by the nation’s football and samba, but it deserves praise too. Of particular interest is the humble pastel, a deep-fried pastry snack that has become a major part of the country’s gastronomic culture and made its presence known in bars and at farmers’ markets. Culture Trip takes a closer look at this crispy fast-food treat.
Pastels are crispy, deep-fried pastries that contain various fillings. Admittedly, they’re not exactly healthy, but they are satisfying and delicious. Two main types are bar pastels and pastels sold at the weekly farmers’ markets, and they come with a variety of fillings depending on where you buy them from.
Farmers’ Market Pastels
These are the original pastels, which are also known as pastel de vento (windy pastel). Their name comes from the fact that these large, deep-fried, rectangular pastries hold an equal mixture of fillings and air. They’re sold at makeshift stalls, where workers gather early in the morning to start serving the first customers, who grab a quick pastel on their way to work or as a Sunday breakfast treat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The fillings are always a traditional combination of cheese, minced meat, prawns, frango with catupiry (cream cheese), pizza (cheese, tomato and basil), dried meat and hearts of palm. Eat with a splash of chilli sauce and wash down with a swig of extra-cold sugar cane juice to do it Brazilian-style.
In Rio de Janeiro, there are several farmers’ markets that serve these pastels alongside locally produced cheese, meats, fruits, vegetables and seafood. In Ipanema, try the popular Ipanema Farmers’ Market at Praça Nossa Senhora da Paz on Fridays, or the market at Praça General Osorio on Tuesdays (the same spot where the Ipanema Hippie Fair takes place on Sundays). In Copacabana, there is a small but complete market at Rua Décio Vilares on Sundays, which is great for fruits, vegetables and hot, fresh pastels. At Rua General Urquiza in Leblon, there’s also a farmers’ market every Sunday.
Bar pastels are small, half moon shaped pastels and are often served as a light snack to eat while drinking chopps (small glasses of beers) and socializing in a boteco (traditional Brazilian bar). Unlike the pastels at farmers’ markets, which stick to a traditional formula, these bar pastels have wholeheartedly embraced the creativity and innovation that many of Rio’s modern bars are bringing to the local gastronomical scene. The result has been pastels with a variety of different fillings. Their small size means that the fillings are more packed in than they are in farmers’ market pastels.
Bar do Adão is famous for its award-winning pastels, which come with more than 60 different fillings. Some of the most popular ones include the Italiano (sun-dried tomatoes with rocket), the Frances (leeks, prawns and catupiry), and the Nobre (prawns, blue cheese and nuts). It also serves sweet options such as brie with apricot jelly, and chocolate and strawberry. Bar do Mineiro in Santa Teresa serves a signature bean pastel for a satisfying carb-overload. For traditional options, head to Bar da Gema in Tijuca for its pastel packed with dried meat – the most-ordered pastel on the menu.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.