On southeast Brazil’s so-called Litoral Norte, the coastline that straddles the border between the states of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, there are hundreds of incredible beaches with the most unique landscapes, almost all surrounded by thick Atlantic jungle and imposing hills. While there are many gorgeous locations up and down the Litoral Norte, the town of Ubatuba has arguably the best variety of spots, with over 100 beaches of all different types. There is truly something for everyone in Ubatuba, and here’s Culture Trip’s guide to discovering this beach paradise.
How to get there
Ubatuba lies roughly equidistant from both the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. If traveling from the former by car, the best route to take is the Presidente Dutra freeway (BR-116) towards Rio, and then in the city of Taubaté, turn off onto the Osvaldo Cruz freeway and go south until you hit Ubatuba. The route is around 140 miles (225 kilometers) and, traffic permitting, it should take you approximately 3.5 hours. From Rio, your best bet is to travel on the coastal Governador Mário Covas freeway, which will take you right through Ubatuba. The trip is a little longer (around 200 miles or 322 kilometers) and should take just under five hours. There are also several buses available every day from São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When to go
Timing is essential for any trip to Ubatuba and the surrounding region. Due to its unique geographic and meteorological properties, the city receives some of the highest levels of rainfall this side of the Amazon Basin, so much so that Ubatuba is often affectionately (or not so affectionately) known as Ubachuva —”chuva” being the Portuguese word for rain. From April to November, temperatures are pleasant, and the rainfall is moderate to low; however, it is in the summer that things start to get a little tricky. In January, February, and March, temperatures can reach up to 40° Celsius (104°F), but the rain can be intense. For ideal conditions, the best time to visit is anywhere between August and December.
Where to stay
With over 100 beaches, it can be a little difficult to choose where exactly in Ubatuba you’d like to visit. Thankfully, most are in fairly close proximity to one another, so if you have a car, you can easily tour the whole region without problems. The town center can get a bit crowded, so it is probably best to find a place to stay in one of the surrounding neighborhoods, such as Picinguaba, Itamambuca, Toninhas or Lagoinha. All have just enough facilities to allow for a stay for a good few days; however, if you’re staying for longer, a place in the center may be your best bet.
Beaches to visit
Praia Grande is one of the most popular beaches in Ubatuba; therefore, it can get quite busy during peak months. There’s a little bit of everything here with its long stretch of fine white sand and beautiful water. One end of the beach is suited for bodyboarders and surfers, with the waves reaching some decent heights, while the rest of the beach is much calmer and ideal for families or anyone looking for a relaxing swim. As it is fairly close to the town center, there are plenty of kiosks selling drinks and food, meaning it’s easy to spend an entire day there lounging in the sun.
Praia Vermelha do Norte
Slightly farther up the coast is Praia Vermelha do Norte, which is one of the most popular spots in Ubatuba for surfing. If waves are your thing, this is where you want to be. While there will invariably be plenty of surfers in the water, the beach itself is much calmer and the sand thicker. The surrounding landscape is gorgeous, with a large, rocky outcrop covered in an Atlantic jungle on its south side.
Praia da Fortaleza
To the west of Ubatuba, close to the small town of Lagoinha, is the somewhat secluded and beautiful Praia da Fortaleza. The beach is accessible via a narrow road starting in Praia Dura, which winds its way through some gorgeous scenery before ending at Praia da Fortaleza. Though it is a bit more out of the way, it has a few restaurants and bars. The beach itself has wonderful views, as well as several trails leading to hidden rock pools or up to the top of the nearby hill, Pontão da Fortaleza, which is a perfect spot for taking photos.
Praia da Santa Rita
Praia da Santa Rita is the ultimate relaxation spot in the Ubatuba region, and while it’s technically a private beach, the public has access to it. With its calm, clear waters, it almost feels as if you are in a swimming pool. For the more adventurous, there are a number of trails around, including one that takes you up over the hills and onto the neighboring beach of Perequê Mirim. There are no kiosks on Praia da Santa Rita, so buy whatever you need to eat and drink beforehand.
Ilha das Couves
On the northern side of Ubatuba, beside the town of Picinguaba, is the paradisiacal island of Ilha das Couves. Accessible by boat from a number of beaches around the Ubatuba coast, it is totally worth the effort to visit, as it is covered by an Atlantic jungle, most of which is untouched. The hike to the highest peak in the mountains offers some incredible views, while the almost deserted and jaw-dropping beaches around the island are ideal for relaxation, or even a spot of snorkeling.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.