While São Paulo is a vastly underrated option for tourists, offering stunning architecture, amazing restaurants and a vibrant nightlife, its reputation is first and foremost as one of the world’s best business hubs. Here are a few reasons why the city has become such a well-regarded center for business.
São Paulo is the financial center of Brazil
Considering the state of São Paulo as a whole, the region is responsible for a third of Brazil’s entire gross domestic product. It is the 10th richest city on the planet and if it were a country in itself, it would have an economy comparable to that of Poland or Belgium. The entire state combined has an economy the size of Mexico.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It is no surprise, therefore, that many of the world’s biggest banks have their Latin American headquarters in São Paulo and of the international companies that do business in Brazil, 63% are based in São Paulo. Netflix, for example, runs its entire Latin American operation out of its office in the city’s financial district. Put simply, if you want to do business in Latin America, you want to do business in São Paulo.
São Paulo’s population is huge
With over 12 million inhabitants, São Paulo is the twelfth largest city in the world, the largest in America and the entire southern hemisphere. If you consider the surrounding cities that make up Greater São Paulo (which are in themselves well integrated and an important part of São Paulo as a whole), this number is bumped up to over 20 million, more than the entire population of Romania, Chile or the Netherlands. As a result, the city brings with it all sorts of advantages to doing business, from offering a massive potential client base (with a huge number of devices connected to the internet) to a wide range of potential hiring talent.
São Paulo is well connected
Transport in São Paulo, both public and private, often gets a bad rap. Talk of gargantuan traffic jams and inefficient public transport systems may put people off the city, but many of these phenomena are overstated. As previously mentioned, São Paulo is huge and its public transport network, while in actual fact quite efficient and of a high quality, is not nearly expansive enough for such a large population. As a result, many people use cars, which, of course, causes traffic. However, a quick glance at lists of world cities with the worst traffic will show no mention of São Paulo. Cities of a comparable size, such as Mexico City, Jakarta, Los Angeles and Rio de Janeiro, all have infinitely worse traffic.
What’s more, São Paulo is home to the best connected airports in South America. Guarulhos International and Congonhas are the two busiest airports in the continent and receive flights from all over the world, often being used by visitors from other continents as a layover before moving on to other destinations in South America. For businesses based in São Paulo, travel to other parts of Brazil is a piece of cake.
It has an abundance of hotels
For business travelers, São Paulo is an excellent destination in terms of facilities and cost-effectiveness. As it is such a popular business hub, the selection of hotels around the city is staggering and a large part of these are geared towards a business tourist clientele, offering all the necessary services for those working away from home. Price-wise, accommodation in São Paulo is also quite affordable, at least in comparison with other business hubs around the world. While a night in a good hotel in New York City could set you back anything upwards of $300, a comparable room in São Paulo is likely to cost you no more than $100.
It’s incredibly culturally diverse
São Paulo is one of the world’s truly cosmopolitan cities, made up of millions of people from dozens of different nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. In practice, this allows businesses in the city to hire culturally diverse teams from many different walks of life, providing different points of view, attitudes towards business and ways of working. Furthermore, the city’s global character also makes it welcoming for visitors from partners or clients from abroad. For instance, people from East Asia can find themselves at home with the city’s stunning array of Japanese, Chinese and Korean restaurants, while this multiculturalism allows Paulistanos to be adaptable to different business cultures from around the world.
São Paulo has a great startup ecosystem
With thousands of active startups and lots of support, São Paulo is the best place to start a business in this key Latin American country. Startup events and conferences with mentors and potential investors are a daily occurrence, while there are tons of startup accelerators available, as well as a Google Campus, inaugurated in 2015. Brazil’s economic downturn has created lots of opportunity for entrepreneurs looking to solve everyday problems, and with São Paulo’s huge population spending lots of time online on their computers or smartphones, it is the ideal place to launch your new business idea.
The weather is ideal
While this may seem like a frivolous point, São Paulo’s weather is actually one of its best qualities. With its temperate tropical climate, it sees warm summers, cool winters and is generally pleasant in the seasons in between. While other Brazilian cities, such as Rio de Janeiro, are just too hot (wearing a suit during a Rio summer is not for the faint of heart), São Paulo manages to reach high, warm temperatures while rarely feeling uncomfortable and stuffy. The city also gets plenty of rain to counteract the build up of big-city pollution.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.