Brazilians don’t just feel passion – they embrace it. Unafraid to display their emotions, it’s not unusual to profess strong emotions on a first date – after all, if you feel it, why not say it? The sing-song rhythm of the Portuguese language is filled with passionate and heartfelt expressions that capture the intensity of their love. Here are some of the ways to say ‘I love you’ in Brazilian Portuguese.
The most traditional way to say ‘I love you’ in Brazilian Portuguese is te amo. Like its English translation, it can be used among close friends and as the first definite declaration of the beginning of a serious relationship. A Brazilian may wait to say it or may even say it after a couple of dates – there are no rules. It is simply said when the moment feels right; hiding love-fuelled emotions doesn’t register. You can say eu também te amo to say ‘I love you too’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eu gosto muito de você
If it’s still the early stages of a relationship, saying ‘I love you’ may feel too strong. A Brazilian tends not to throw around these three special words and says them when they mean them – no matter how fleeting that love turns out to be. In the case of feeling something more than simply friendship towards someone yet it’s not quite love, you can say eu gosto muito de você, to mean ‘I really like you’. Alternatively, you can say eu gosto tanto de você, which is another way of saying ‘I like you so much’.
To say ‘I adore you’ in Portuguese, you would say te adoro. To say te adoro is not as strong or meaningful as to say te amo so it’s a good expression to use in the early stages of a relationship.
Vai namorar comigo?
If you want to ask your lover out and turn your love official, you might want to say vai namorar comigo? which means, ‘will you go out with me?’. Namorar is to ‘go out with’, so you are officially a boyfriend or a girlfriend. If you haven’t quite reached the stage of being a couple, yet you are definitely more than just friends, then you are ficando. Ficar is to ‘see someone’ or to ‘date someone casually’. There are several layers to this – you can either ficar com or sem compromiso – the former where you are seeing one person exclusively and the latter is when you are seeing someone without any commitment.
Estou apaixonado por você
When it’s the stage of a relationship where love becomes all-consuming and the butterflies in the tummy become a daily part of life, Brazilians say, estou apaixonado por você to say ‘I’m falling in love with you’ or ‘I’m in love with you’. If your feelings are even stronger and you’re feeling truly crazy in love, then you can say estou perdidamente (or completamente) apaixonado por você, which translates to ‘I’m falling (or I am) head over heels in love with you’.
Você me completa
Brazilians are often incredibly romantic and have a selection of wonderful phrases that can make you feel like the centre of the world. After some time in a truly committed relationship, you may start to see your partner as your significant half, someone that makes you feel whole. For these moments, the Brazilian Portuguese language has a beautiful expression that sums it up perfectly – você me completa to say ‘you make me feel complete’.
Você é o mundo para mim
Another romantic expression for a more serious relationship is você é o mundo para mim, which means ‘you are my world’. It is usually saved for a serious relationship and serves to show just how important the significant other is to the person who declares this heartfelt statement.
When two lovers are apart and are working through a distance-relationship, the Brazilian Portuguese language has the perfect expression that captures that pain and anxiety of being far away from loved ones. Rather than simply saying ‘I miss you’, Brazilians say tenho saudades de você or simply, saudades de você. The weight of the words is hard to translate into English but it means ‘I miss you’ yet with feelings of longing like you really feel a heavy heart knowing that your loved one is far away.
Você é tudo pra mim
When you feel that someone is the most important person or aspect of your life, in Brazilian Portuguese you can say você é tudo pra mim which translates to ‘you are everything to me’. It’s the perfect expression to use on Valentine’s Day – or Dias dos Namorados (Boyfriend and Girlfriend Day) in Brazil – or for Brazilians, any moment when the feelings of passion, love and desire become overpowering.
O amor da minha vida
When you’re truly in love, you’ve found the one and there is no-one else that you would want to be with, then you can call this person o amor da minha vida, or ‘the love of my life’. Although not often used in the early stages of getting to know someone, it’s certainly acceptable when the relationship gets serious. In long-term relationships, it is regularly used as a pet name for a loved one in Brazilian Portuguese.
Querido, docinho and amorzinho
Querido, docinho and amorzinho are affectionate pet names for a loved one in Portuguese. Querido(a) roughly translates to sweetheart or dear. Docinho translates to ‘little sweet’ which would have the meaning of ‘cutie’. Amorzinho translates to ‘little love’ but the ‘little’ part is a sign of affection rather than intensity of the love.
Não consigo parar de pensar em você
That feeling of love can be utterly consuming and makes us think of little else except the person we are falling for. If you want to tell your Brazilian lover just how much they are on your mind, tell them não consigo parar de pensar em você, which translates to ‘I can’t stop thinking about you’.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.