In a country that simply oozes sexuality, sensuality, and a fun-loving spirit, dating in Brazil can be relatively easy. While casual hookups are pretty straightforward, making it last long term can be a bit trickier. But if you’re looking for a holiday romance, it’s hard to imagine a better place than Brazil, where the passionate residents will make you swoon. Here are some things to know about dating in Brazil.
Tinder is a big deal in Brazil: it has one of the largest markets of users in the world, second only to the United States. While Tinder is by far the most used dating app, others are still commonly used such as Bumble and Happn. There is no stigma at all attached to using dating apps in Brazil so don’t feel shy about downloading them and searching for a date. Dating aside, it’s also a great way of practicing your Portuguese.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Facts about Tinder
How many people are using Tinder in Brazil? A recent survey conducted nationwide shows that the country has 10 million registered users and a total of one million matches per day. While São Paulo has the highest number of Tinder users, Rio de Janeiro has 7.3 percent more matches than its southern sister-city does. In other words, Rio de Janeiro officially has the highest number of active users, with more people using Tinder here than any other place in Brazil. A study of 150 interviews of active users in Rio de Janeiro showed that 72 percent of men used Tinder as a platform to find casual sex, whereas 48 percent of women used it for casual hookups.
Gay dating apps
Just over eight percent of the population of Brazil identify themselves within the LGTB group and using dating apps is a popular way of meeting others and dating. For finding relationships, casual dating, or something with the hope of being long-term, Tinder and Happn are the most popular.
Dating apps for sex
Tinder is used for both casual hookups and those seeking a more lingering romance. On the gay scene, dating apps geared towards meeting someone for sex tends to be more common. The most used sex apps are Hornet and Grindr. There are also apps that target a specific kind of man, such as Scruff. Scruff is specifically for finding ‘bears’, which is the term for big, hairy men.
Dating at Carnival
For casual hookups, there is no time in Rio quite like Carnival, where kissing and casual flings are all part of the celebrations. It is also a time when there are higher levels of infidelity among relationships, which is something that is largely accepted as part and parcel of the party, although this isn’t the case for everyone. To meet people at Carnival, simply join a bloco (a moving street party) and feel free to mingle, flirt, and enjoy.
Dating at Gay Pride
While places such as Rio de Janeiro certainly have the picturesque scenes with an oceanic backdrop, it doesn’t compare with the number of people that gather for Gay Pride in Sao Paulo. Around five million people flock to Sao Paulo’s streets to take part in this famous event which brings all the same levels of debauchery and fun that Carnival is famed for. In addition to being an unforgettable party in a safe environment, it is also an ideal moment for meeting others and dating.
Paying the bill on the first date
You meet a potential lover and you go on the first date to a hip bar or a fancy restaurant. What do you do when the bill comes? There isn’t really any rules in Brazil for paying the bill on the first date and it varies. Quite often, the man will insist on paying for the woman although that isn’t a given and shouldn’t be expected; you should always offer to split the bill. For gay couples, it is normal to split the bill and pay half each.
Sex on the first date
Again, there are no set-in-stone rules for this and it’s equally fine to wait as it is to sleep with someone on the first date. Whatever you decide to do, don’t be surprised if you end up at a pay-per-hour motel. As it is common for Brazilians to stay living with their family until later in life, dating couples often rent a motel for a couple of hours in order to get some privacy. Motels in Brazil are designed specifically for sex and many come complete with a hot tub, sauna, condoms, and mirrored ceilings.
Meeting your date for a second date
Meeting for second dates can be a grey area and ‘vamos marcar’ – which means ‘let’s organise something’ – doesn’t necessarily mean that a plan is concrete to meet up. Brazilians are, on the whole, incredibly friendly people and prefer to keep options open rather than saying ‘no’. Even if you really click with your date and the feelings are intense, the laid-back Brazilian approach means that things may take some time to develop.
Places to meet a date
Overall, Brazilians are pretty sociable people, and it’s easy to strike up a conversation in bars or clubs. It is more common for men to approach women than the other way around, and as a foreigner, you may find you get a lot of attention. São Paulo has a huge variety of nightclubs and outdoor street parties, creating an exciting dating scene. There are also several spontaneous gay ‘bear’ parties and underground sex parties that spring up randomly. If you are not keen on dating apps and the bar scene is not your thing, then head to the beach; it’s an excellent place to find a date.
If your date is late, then don’t be annoyed. Time-keeping in Brazil isn’t as strict as it is in some countries and being 15 minutes late isn’t considered overly late. So if you’re kept waiting, then it’s not you, it really is just a cultural thing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.