Once you arrive, you’ll quickly realize why this beach is so talked about, especially among locals of the state of Santa Catarina. Brazilian people are very welcoming, and go out of their way to offer recommendations on where to go, what to do, and always what to eat. Praia do Rosa will definitely come up in conversation, so know these helpful pieces of information before you head out.
First of all, unless you’re driving there yourself and are using a GPS, you will need to know this simple piece of Brazilian Portuguese: the pronunciation of the letter “R” sounds like an “H.” So if you’re asking for a ticket or directions to anywhere other than Praia do “Hosa” you might get some funny looks.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The actual town of Praia do Rosa is extremely small and mainly consists of restaurants and a couple posadas that line the brick paths down to the beach, but it’s basically an extension of the town of Ibiraquera. When looking for places to stay, if you plan to spend a few nights, remember that Praia do Rosa refers mainly to the beach itself, so look for accommodation by searching Ibiraquera as well.
The beach of Praia do Rosa stretches for a couple kilometers and, when the tide is out, provides a huge strip of soft, white sand near the dunes, and packed sand where the tide rolls in and out, perfect for playing beach sports. The large bay ensures there is rarely a rip, or dangerous current, and the gorgeous, blue waters and refreshing but welcoming temperatures makes it great for swimming.
Lagoa do Meio
Set back slightly from the beach, you will find a small lagoon, Lagoa do Meio, a welcome, tranquil change from the windy beach and breaking waves of the ocean. The lagoon accepts ocean water at high tide, and slowly offers it back once the tide retreats, sometimes creating a small sandbar that locks off the lake from the ocean, making a shallow swimming pool.
If you’re expecting to stay at a modern, marble resort where you can stroll past the pool right to the beach and be handed a towel on your way, then Praia do Rosa might not be the beach for you. However, if you want a beach in its unaltered, pristine condition, with rustic buildings and boutique places to stay, and a chance to get in touch with nature, then, yes, you and Praia do Rosa will get along just fine.
Despite Praia do Rosa’s size, it offers an extensive amount of accommodation options for all budgets. There is a handful of hostels for the budget traveler who is alright bunking it, there are mid-range posadas for people who want a little more privacy, or couples looking for a romantic getaway, and also some boutique Bed and Breakfasts for the families visiting Praia do Rosa.
For a rustic and relaxed town, Praia do Rosa surprises with some decent restaurants to eat spread out between the beach and Ibiraquera. You will have your choice of tasty seafood spots, traditional Brazilian food and even a couple of Italian bistros. Just because you’re off the beaten path doesn’t mean you have to eat like it.
So much of the coast of Brazil is thin, rocky outcrops, hilly chunks of jungle, and mini mountains covered in greenery that stick out into the water, making the coast uniquely beautiful—and Praia do Rosa affords that characteristic as well. On the north and south ends of the beach, there are two thin headlands that have trails leading up to them, which will give you the best view and photo opportunities to snap a memorable picture of Praia do Rosa from above.
Where everything revolves around the beach, you will naturally feel a sense of peace, and this relaxed approach continues when referring to marijuana, which is illegal in Brazil, however somewhat accepted in Praia do Rosa. If you are visiting as a family with young ones, understand this, and that the authorities are more concerned with visitors picking up after themselves than surfers puffing on some herb.
The state of Santa Catarina has so many great surf beaches to choose from, more than a handful in Florianopolis alone, that some people forget Praia do Rosa also has some great breaks. The beach breaks need a decently heavy swell to make a surfable wave, but, when it arrives, it’s a ton of fun. On a big day, farther out, you can expect some good barrels too. Also, being such a long beach means it’s not often crowded.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.