You may have heard about Brazil’s carnival in Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, and Recife – but Ouro Preto probably slipped under the radar. However, celebrating here is an experience you’ll be talking about for years to come. A large portion of the population is university students, which means this usually sleepy town is full of wild parties and a young, fun-loving crowd. Here’s everything you need to know.
You have to prepare in advance
Unlike Rio de Janeiro where you can just show up and dive straight into the parties, Ouro Preto needs a bit more planning. First, you have to get there. Secondly, you will need to book your accommodation and choose which parties you want to go to. It’s essential you do this weeks (or even months) before you go, so that you stay in the best accommodation options and go to the parties you want.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
People stay in something called a ‘republica’
The most common type of accommodation in Ouro Preto is a republica, which are student halls rented out during carnival for tourists and locals. It’s a large building with several rooms and a huge outdoor space at the back. To stay there, you need to go online and choose your republica and pay for a package per person – the price of this package varies enormously depending on the republica you choose. The package includes the room, food, and all your drinks meaning that throughout the whole carnival, you don’t need to buy any alcohol as it’s all provided for you. The price you pay also includes the street parties (known as blocos) so, the more blocos you want to go to, the more you pay. However, every day the republica has its own party outside which is included in the package. You will receive a t-shirt and bracelet to show which republica you are a part of – don’t lose this, otherwise you won’t be able to get into your dorm.
The room options are varied
Each republica has several rooms, and you can either rent a room for you and your friends, or you can rent a mixed room with random people. There are usually female and male rooms, but if you book for you and your friends then it’s fine to be a mixed room. Your bed for the next few days will be an air mattress, which is the standard sleeping option here.
How to choose your republica
There are over 300 student halls in Ouro Preto that are used during this period, so there are plenty of options to choose from. There has never been a consensus on the ‘best republica‘, as your experience there will largely depend on who you travel with and the others staying there. However, one tip is to look for a republica that has been providing accommodation for at least 10 years, as these tend to know exactly what to do, will have an efficient system in place, and will be used to any kind of mishap that could happen during the event.
What to bring with you
You don’t need to bring alcohol or food as this is all provided at the republica. Only bring food if there’s something in particular you want – such as snacks – or if you have specific dietary requirements, as the republica may not be able to attend to certain demands. Make sure you bring your own bed sheets, towels, and pillow too.
Republica parties are amazing…
Every day, the republica has its own parties which are held on-site. All the drinks are included, and the parties usually have themes such as a ‘white theme’ for example, so everyone goes dressed in white. You can check in advance what the themes will be so you can prepare your costume – getting into fancy dress is one of the biggest aspects of Brazil’s carnival.
… and the street parties are fantastic too
Some blocos in Ouro Preto are closed off, and those that want to go there will need to pay to go. In the package you pay for the republica, some of these street parties are included – the number of street parties included depends on how many you paid for. The blocos are usually in a large square or street with live shows, and thousands of people attend from different republicas.
A typical day
A typical day in a republica starts by waking up and having breakfast. If you want to start drinking at breakfast, you can – and you won’t be alone. The morning is calm and is usually spent chatting with other people, and getting ready for the day ahead. After lunch, the parties start. The republica party and the bloco starts at the same time, so you can choose which one you want to go to. If you go to the bloco, the party there usually finishes around 8pm, so you can then go back to the republica party which continues until the last person leaves. Then it’s sleep, eat, and repeat.
Staying in a hotel
If the idea of student accommodation doesn’t appeal, then you can stay in a hotel. Remember to book in advance and be prepared to pay up to three times the usual price. There are some street parties you can attend and there are several supermarkets throughout the city where you can buy drinks and food.
Getting to Ouro Preto
Ouro Preto is located in Minas Gerais. From the major cities such as Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo, you can fly to Belo Horizonte, the capital of Minas Gerais, and then take a bus to Ouro Preto. Alternatively, you can take a bus from São Paulo and Rio directly to Ouro Preto, which will take about six hours. It’s also possible to hire a car, but check parking options before you go.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.