Bolivia may not be the world’s premier luxury travel destination, mostly due to an undeveloped tourism industry which is just starting to find its feet. Nonetheless, a number of swanky hotels have begun to pop up in recent years to provide well-heeled, intrepid travelers with a sophisticated place to stay. Whether you visit this South American destination to explore La Paz or marvel at Salar de Uyuni, the world’s largest salt flat, we’ve compiled a list of the most opulent digs from all corners of the country – which you can now book with Culture Trip.
Soak up the city sights and magnificent views of the Andes’ peaks through floor-to-ceiling windows from your comfortable, contemporary room in the smart Zona Sur suburb of La Paz. Swim off jet lag with languid laps in the turquoise indoor heated pool under the hotel’s distinctive curved glass roof, then you’re ready for day trips exploring the ancient Tiahuanaco Ruins and Moon Valley. Buffet breakfasts set you up for the day – by night head up to the sleek, top-floor cocktail lounge for sublime city views.
There’s nothing about this hotel that isn’t out of the ordinary. It’s set on the eastern shores of the Salar de Uyuni, and constructed entirely from salt – that includes the beds and other furniture. Add in jaw-dropping views across the dazzling salt flats, and lovers of photography and adventure travel will be thrilled. Cozy rooms offer hot water bottles for sub-zero nights, and colorful woven rugs cover the granular floor. Start the day on multiple types of bread, cheese with fresh fruit and end it with a pisco sour in the bar.
If you like a souvenir or two, you’ll appreciate the location of this sleek, thoroughly modern hotel in Cochabamba. It’s part of the same building as the sprawling Hupermall shopping center, packed with fashion boutiques, a food court and cinema. And yet sightseeing is easy, too – it’s just over a 10-minute walk to the opulent, European-style Palacio Portales. Smart rooms are bathed in soft greys and browns, and spacious suites include separate living and dining areas. Dine in the refined restaurant, before a movie in the on-site cinema.
Since opening its doors in 2016, Atix has quickly established itself as a major player in Bolivia’s luxury travel scene. Boasting an eccentric modern facade and a range of eclectic artwork, this quirky five-star hotel offers unbridled opulence while paying homage to the country’s distinct cultural heritage. Guests can indulge in a fine-dining, in-house restaurant, sip on cocktails in their trendy top-floor cocktail bar, or take a take a dip in their stylish indoor pool.
Gran Hotel Cochabamba has the market covered for large and fancy accommodation, boasting an exuberant blend of modern and traditional decor. Each of its 120 rooms overlooks magnificent gardens and pools, while a stately indoor conference center is popular for weddings and meetings. Be sure to wake up in time for the free buffet breakfast, which is about as good as you’ll get anywhere in town.
Big and boisterous, Los Tajibos brings five-star decadence right into the heart of Santa Cruz. Well-heeled travelers love its convenient location among the city’s best nightspots, not to mention the full-service spa and multiple outdoor pools. Each of its 208 rooms features icy-cold air conditioning and chic modern decor, while the three upmarket on-site restaurants are a hit with locals and guests alike.
A mashup of luxury with the downright bizarre, El Palacio de Sal is the first hotel to be made entirely out of salt. Large sections of the luxuriant, 30-room complex must be rebuilt due to environmental degradation each year – but that doesn’t stop the determined owners from providing their guests with the latest in modern amenities. Among the salty facilities are a fully-stocked bar, a sauna and spa, a swimming pool and even an 18-hole golf course.
Jo Fernandez-Corugedo contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.