Stay in a seashell-shaped cabin on Lake Titicaca or a skyscraper hotel in La Paz, all bookable with Culture Trip.
You may think of the landscape in Bolivia as inhospitable, from the vast Uyuni salt flats to the treacherous mountain path known as the Death Road. However, the warm local hospitality will make you feel right at home. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in Bolivia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Your room in the Huper Hotel Boutique will tower above the rest from the sixth floor of the massive Hupermall in Cochabamba, with views extending to the Monumento Cristo de la Concordia. Inside, paintings and prints from Bolivian artists line the walls. It’s within walking distance of attractions such as the Palacio Portales, Museo de Historia Natural Alcide d’Orbigny and the Iglesia de la Recoleta.
If authenticity is what you’re after, you’ll find it at the Atix Hotel. The building’s facade, built from Bolivian wood and locally mined granite, stands out among the houses south of La Paz. Rooms are simple and chic with queen-size beds and rainfall showers. The restaurant, Ona, serves creative takes on local dishes such as fish stew and bife con chorrellana (steak served with mashed potatoes, grilled onions, peppers and a chimichurri sauce).
Explore Salar de Uyuni, the biggest salt flat in the world, from the rustic boutique Hotel Jardines de Uyuni. Here, you can relax after a long desert day in the steamy sauna or tuck into Bolivian dishes such as charque lipeño (sun-dried shredded llama meat topping potato and yellow chili) at Tika, the hotel restaurant. The owners run their own tour company, Hidalgo Tours, so you are guaranteed the best price on day trips to the flats, desert geysers and Isla Incahuasi.
For a luxurious extended stay in La Paz, look no further than the Ritz Apart Hotel. All suites include king, double or twin beds and a kitchenette for whipping up meals. If you’re traveling with a group, the grand deluxe suite is an excellent option, as it accommodates four people across two bedrooms. You can start each day with a complimentary breakfast in Duke’s Restaurant, and it’s worth returning in the evening as it serves steak and seafood alongside an extensive wine list.
Hostal Las Olas isn’t your typical bare-bones hostel. Here, you’ll bed down in one of a dozen funky cabins shaped like conch shells, turtles or castle-like towers, right on Lake Titicaca. Whether it’s through the stained-glass windows or on the hammock-lined patio of your cabin, you’ll always have a lake view. If you’re looking for more action than relaxation, the hostel rents out motorcycles and even offers a guided alpaca tour.
The Palacio de Sal Hotel – or Salt Palace – is a one-of-a-kind hotel in Bolivia. The 48,000sqft (4,459sqm) space is built entirely from local salt bricks – including the beds – mined from the Salar de Uyuni salt flats right outside. Head down to the opulent spa and take in desert views from the indoor heated pool. Its isolated location, miles away from town, will make the evenings perfect for stargazing.
Due to its concentration of whitewashed colonial buildings, Sucre is known as Bolivia’s White City. One such structure is On-Boutique, a 16th-century mansion-turned-hotel. Each of its six suites hints at the building’s age, with details such as vaulted wood-beam ceilings and clawfoot bathtubs. You can enjoy a glass of wine on the rooftop bar – the on-site cellar houses top Bolivian and Spanish bottles.
Colibri Camping and Eco Lodge is an ideal place to stay if you’re looking for some peace and quiet; it’s just half an hour from downtown La Paz. Here, you’ll have a choice of cabins, from an A-frame lodge to a fully equipped tiny house dubbed “the Pigsty.” Adventurous types will be pleased to know Colibri offers several expeditions, such as hikes up the jagged Muela del Diablo (the Devil’s Molar) or an ATV ride through the Valley of the Moon.
In 2016, this building looked like any other 1960s-style home in downtown Santa Cruz. It belonged to Consuelo Parada Suárez, grandmother of the hotel’s current owners, who transformed it with the help of local artists. From the mural adorning the entrance, titled Recuerdos del Casco Viejo (Memories of the Old Town), to award-winning portraits of Aymara women, the Cosmopolitano brings Santa Cruz’s culture to you. However, there are some international touches, such as Hermès-branded toiletries in every room and Aperol spritzes served at the bar nightly.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.