Halfway between La Paz and Santa Cruz, chilled out Cochabamba is the perfect stopover for travelers moving between Bolivia’s western highlands and its tropical east. With a perfect year round climate, the tastiest food in the country and a number of interesting things to see and do, Cocha is well worth a day or two of your time.
Bus: Some of the many frequent departures include La Paz (8 hours, 50-100 BOB/US$7-15), Sucre (9 hours, 70-140 BOB/US$10-20), Oruro (5 hours, 28 BOB/US$4), Potosi (10 hours, 60-100 BOB/US$8.50-15), Santa Cruz (10 hours, 65-135 BOB/US$9.30-$19.30), and Tupiza (one afternoon departure which arrives in the morning, 100 BOB/US$15).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Terminal de Buses, Av Ayacucho, Cochabamba, Bolivia
Minibuses to Torotoro leave from a different bus station when full between 6am and 6pm, costing 35BOB (US$5) and taking four hours.
Parada Trans Torotoro, Av. República, Cochabamba, Bolivia
Buses to Samaipata along the old highway leave in the mornings, cost 50 BOB (US$7) and take 13 hours.
Trans Pojo, Av 6 de Agosto y Moxos, Cochabamba, Bolivia
Flight: Amazonas have direct flights to Santa Cruz starting at 276 BOB (US$39) one way. BoA offer several more destinations including La Paz from 240 BOB (US$36), Sucre from 239 BOB ($US34), Potosi from 302 BOB (US$43) and Tarija from 370 BOB (US$55).
Budget: Backpackers rave about Running Chaski for its central location, friendly staff, high quality bedding and sociable atmosphere. Dorm beds start from 75 BOB (US$11).
Running Chaski Hostel, Calle España, Cochabamba, Bolivia + 591 4 4250559
Mid range: A perfect mid range option for those looking for a bit more space is Apart Hotel Violettas. Just one block from the Prado (main street), it’s got a number of well-equipped apartments that work out to be excellent value for money when traveling in a group.
High end: Cochabamba has a number of swish hotels catering to well-heeled business travelers, but the city’s best luxury option is Hotel Aranjuez. This former colonial hacienda (country house) has been converted into an elegant 4 star boutique with rooms that overlook a lush garden. It gets rave reviews for its excellent amenities, service and charm.
Eating and Drinking
Clementina do the best burgers in the city which come with a variety of creative toppings and are served on delicious freshly baked homemade buns. With a relaxed, low key atmosphere and chic industrial style decor, it’s a great place for a casual yet delicious meal.
Clementina, Juan Capriles, Cochabamba, Bolivia +591 4 4252152
The best seafood in town can be found at Marvinos, a welcome respite in a city obsessed with meat. Although a little pricier than others places in town, Marvinos is still great value for the eclectic menu and sophisticated ambiance it provides.
La Cantonata is the place to go for pasta, although their steak and seafood are pretty good too. With an intimate candle lit atmosphere, white table cloths and waistcoat-wearing waiters, it’s particularly popular with locals looking for a romantic escape.
La Cantonata, España 409, Cochabamba, Bolivia 4 4259222
See and Do
Cristo de la Concordia: The city’s biggest and most famous landmark, this massive monument is the second largest statue of Jesus in the world, even bigger than Christ the Redeemer in Rio. The interior of this giant Jesus has a fully climbable set of stairs which is well worth the effort for the incredible views it affords. Get closer to God by either taking the cable car (10 BOB/US$1.50) or embarking on a thousand step trek up the mountain (just watch out for muggers along the way).
Simón I. Patiño Cultural Center: The city’s finest museum, this converted mansion was built in the 1930s by an obscenely wealthy tin mogul who once controlled more than half of the country’s total output. As you would expect, it is full of ostentatious displays of early 20th century wealth.
mARTadero: A must for art lovers, this performing arts center built in a converted slaughter house is the city’s creative epicenter. It puts on regular artistic performances and exhibitions, primarily with a focus on the Cochabamba’s youth.
Proyecto mARTadero, 27 de Agosto, Cochabamba, Bolivia +591 4 4588778
Quillacollo: Quillacollo is a small city just 20 minutes from downtown Cochabamba. Although it’s got some nice hot springs and hiking trails nearby, it is most interesting during the Fiesta de la Virgen de Urkupiña on August 15, widely considered to be one of Bolivia’s most colorful and lively festivals.
Quillacollo, Cochabamba, Bolivia
Punata: A small rural town just a short drive east of Cocha. It’s worth a visit on Tuesdays when an authentic weekly market brings it alive with a flurry of activity. Lots of livestock are on sale including llamas and alpacas.
Punata, Cochabamba, Bolivia
Toro Toro: An epic national park packed full of canyons, dinosaur foot prints, caves and weird rock formations. Torotoro requires at least two days to explore as it is a four hour drive from the city.
Toro Toro National Park, Potosi, Bolivia
Villa Tunari: An excellent off the beaten track alternative to Rurrenabaque, Villa Tunari’s attractions include jungle treks, white water rafting and an awesome nearby animal refuge which accepts volunteers. Again, it’s a few hours out of town so not really worth it for a day trip.
Villa Tunari, Cochabamba, Bolivia
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.