Well off the international tourist radar lies one of Bolivia’s best architectural gems: the heavenly Jesuit churches of Chiquitos. Steeped in history and immaculately preserved, these magnificent religious edifices portray a different side of Bolivia’s history which is seldom explored. Here’s everything you need to know before visiting the region.
Some background on the Jesuits
Originating out of Spain in the 15th century, the Jesuits, A.K.A The Society of Jesus, are a fanatical scholarly section of the Catholic Church intent on evangelizing the world. Part of their early expansion included mass migration to South America in the 17th century in an attempt to convert the native inhabitants. Such efforts were quite successful, mainly because they sought to aid rather than enslave the indigenous, unlike the conquistadors. Eventually, however, the sect was banished from the continent by the Spanish king.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What to expect
The Chiquitos circuit consists of seven separate missions, or towns, in the tropical lowlands of eastern Bolivia. Although the marvelous churches undoubtedly take center stage, each mission also retains other Jesuit buildings from the era. Expect to stumble across charming old-world plazas, town halls, and colonial residences throughout.
When they were built
Much like other reductions in the region, the Jesuits founded the Chiquitos missions in the late 17th to mid 18th century. Therefore, many of the remaining structures are over 300 years old.
Which missions to visit
To visit all seven Chiquitos missions requires at least five days, a worthy expedition for travelers with a particular interest in Jesuit architecture and history. Most, however, constrain their journey to the highlights of San José de Chiquitos and Concépcion.
Why they are special
Unlike other Jesuits reductions throughout South America, the Chiquitos missions were not destroyed when the Spanish expelled the sect from South America in 1767. As a result, these astonishing churches remain the best-preserved examples of Jesuit architecture on the continent today.
They were featured in a film
A popular 1986 period drama entitled The Mission tells the story of a group of devout Jesuits and their struggles to protect their converts from slavery. Partly thanks to a strong leading performance by Robert de Niro, the blockbuster brought new interest to this largely forgotten region.
Many are UNESCO listed
Prompted by increased interest as a result of the film, UNESCO declared several of the Chiquitos missions to be World Heritage Sites in 1990.
They are immaculately preserved
Some 25 years of painstaking restoration work has been carried out, restoring many of the Chiquitos churches to their former glory.
How to get there and around
Most travelers get to the ruins from Santa Cruz, Bolivia’s biggest city and the capital of the Oriente. From there, several buses leave to San Javier, Concepción, and San Ignacio. Travel is typically done in a clockwise or anti-clockwise circuit, with daily buses running between each town. The circuit can easily be navigated with private transport while tour operators such as Nick’s Adventures are an excellent alternative as well.
Where to stay
Each mission has basic tourist infrastructure such as guesthouses and restaurants. The best quality lodgings can be found in Concepción and San Ignacio, although don’t expect to find anything luxurious.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.