Featuring colorful indigenous culture and some of the most photogenic wilderness on Earth, Bolivia is an Instagrammer’s playground with virtually limitless potential. And despite the fact that the social media platform has yet to take off in the country, there are a number of jaw-dropping Bolivian accounts. Here’s Culture Trip’s list of the greatest.
Based out of La Paz, Bolivian Express is the country’s most widely circulated English language print magazine. Each monthly issue comes packed with artistic photography, the best of which is shared on their Instagram feed.
A post shared by Bolivian Express (@bolivianexpress) on Apr 16, 2018 at 5:43pm PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Meaning “I’m from La Paz,” this uber-popular account runs in conjunction with an equally successful Facebook page where residents share memes and stories about life in their home city. All photos are carefully curated by the admins to ensure only the most striking local photography is on display.
A post shared by Soy La Paz Bolivia (@soylapazbolivia) on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:00pm PST
Photography-focused travel agency Salt Pic Uyuni have the Instagram market cornered in Bolivia’s Salar de Uyuni. Featuring the biggest #uyuni account on the Gram, their feed features some unusual romantic shots among other compelling salt flat pics.
A post shared by Uyuni | Bolivia (@uyunisaltpic) on Apr 20, 2018 at 8:38pm PDT
Run by Australian wildlife enthusiast and tour company owner Nick, the account primarily portrays the stunning scenery and wildlife guests can expect to encounter on a tour of eastern Bolivia.
A post shared by Nicks Adventures Bolivia (@nicks_adventures_bolivia) on Feb 27, 2018 at 6:42pm PST
Renowned La Paz photographer Michael Dunn is a regular on Instagram, typically using low light and carefully placed shadows to create a more moody depiction of Bolivia.
A post shared by Michael Dunn Caceres (@michaeldunca) on Dec 27, 2017 at 5:58pm PST
Landscape and macro photographer Pavel Diaz de Oropeza may only have a few pics on his account, yet his unique angles and use of color make him worthy of a look.
A post shared by PaveL Fotografias ® (@pavelfotografias) on Mar 27, 2018 at 1:44pm PDT
Sergio Bretel has won international awards for this abstract works, many of which use distortion from reflections to create a novel effect.
A post shared by Sergio Bretel (@sergiobretel) on Apr 6, 2018 at 9:04pm PDT
Bolivian photographer and avid traveler Jack Shoot loves to document his adventures, showcasing the most spectacular scenery from Bolivia and beyond.
A post shared by Dentro de mi vida (@jackshoot.f) on Jan 28, 2017 at 7:17am PST
Local Bolivian collective Mango Media use drones and traditional methods to capture breathtaking photos of their hometown and the surrounding region.
A post shared by mangomedia audiovisual (@mango.media) on May 15, 2017 at 8:40am PDT
Street art enthusiasts will want to keep an eye on Knorke Leaf, a renowned local painter who has been commissioned to work on some of the country’s best murals. Keep an eye out to see if you can spot her work in La Paz and beyond.
A post shared by @knorke_leaf on Apr 20, 2018 at 3:46am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.