South America is a fascinating continent full of captivating colonial history, enchanting local culture and breathtaking natural wonders. But who are we kidding? We’re just here to party. Thankfully, there are loads of pumping party hostels all throughout the continent who have just what the doctor ordered – epic all night boozy fiestas. Check out the best of the best.
Milhouse, Buenos Aires, Argentina
An infamous South American institution, this Buenos Aires party hostel is a must for anyone after a wild night. The huge complex has room for hundreds of rowdy guests and puts on turbo-charged theme nights such as toga parties, mud parties, foam parties, stoplight parties and everything in between. As is the norm in Argentina, guests usually hit the town at about 2 a.m. and rarely make it home before daylight. Although Milhouse has a few other locations, the original Avenue hostel is definitely the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A notorious South American party franchise, Loki has expanded in recent years to include five locations over three different countries. Named after a mischievous figure in Nordic mythology, Loki lives up to its name by hosting outrageous booze-fueled events that cater to hordes of fun-loving youth. The Mancora location is a particular favorite for its classy resort-like design that is notorious for hedonistic celebration.
Wild Rover, Chain
As the name suggests, these hostels are wild. Each of the three locations focus around an Irish themed bar that offers delicious comfort food from home and plenty of cheap booze. Evenings tend to start off fairly civilized with guests meeting up for a quite beer and meal before the night descends into madness as the place transforms into a boisterous and unrestrained drink-a-thon. Expect scantily clad revelers dancing on tables while free pouring bottles of liquor straight into the mouths of dancers below. We warned you it was wild.
The Point, Chain
A Peruvian-based franchise with three locations across the country, The Point is a little more timid than the aforementioned madhouses. Aside from the obvious drinking, each locale does a good job of promoting guest interaction by supplying various games such as pool, ping pong and jenga to wile away the time. The beach side Mancora hostel is notorious for its monthly full moon party where rowdy revelers come from all over town to dance the night away in an epic open-air event.
Che Lagarto, Chain
As South America’s biggest hostel chain, Che Lagarto hostels can be found all throughout Brazil and further afield. A high level of service and facilities are consistent throughout each hostel, although some are definitely more party orientated than others. Copacabana has a particularly lively scene thanks to its rooftop terrace and swimming pool which boasts incredible views over the world’s most famous beach. The Illa Grande balcony is another fave, the perfect place for a sundown caipirinha, or ten.
The best place to let loose upon returning from the grueling lost city trek, La Brisa Loca serves up the perfect combination of relaxation and decadent fun. Set in a beautifully restored hundred year old Caribbean style mansion, guests fall in with love its leafy patio and elegant pool. But its the hedonism that really entices the masses, with five-hour happy hours, boozy poolside BBQs and full-moon rooftop fiestas that never fail to please the crowds.
La Brisa Loca, Cl. 14 #3 – 58, Santa Marta, Magdalena, Colombia +57 5 4316121
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.