The nightlife is pumping night after night in Argentina’s capital. In a city that’s slow to wake up, don’t expect to get anything accomplished in the mornings before 10AM. However, with summer temperatures frequently in the high 90s and low 100s, it’s the after-dark pulse that starts beating after 9PM that’ll give you a real feel for Buenos Aires. That’s when the countdown begins for seeing the best and unique sites after sunset.
Go to a Boca game
Ole! Ole, ole, ole! Many tourists find the best way to experience the buzz of Buenos Aires is to go to a ‘futbol’ game – known to Americans as ‘soccer’. Boca Juniors, the top futbol team in Argentina, is identified by the vibrant blue and yellow strip proudly replicated among its ardent fans. Soccer legend Diego Maradona twice played for the team and was their Vice President for a brief period in his retirement. For some, the energy of the crowd can be more exciting than the game itself. Nowhere is the energy more electric than when Boca Juniors play fierce rivals River Plate, but any trip to Boca Juniors’ Bombonera stadium is an adventure that won’t be forgotten. Be wary of pickpockets though, and hold on tight to your billfold.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As unpalatable as it may sound, eating offal is as much a part of an Argentine meal as eating steak. Famous for having among the best beef cuts in the world, their famed barbecues often make use of entire cows. Choriz and morcilla (black pudding) is consumed with chinchulines (pork, beef or lamb intestines that have been grilled or fried), briny rinon (liver) and the delicately-flavored molleja (gizzard – an organ found in the digestive tract). As they’re put on the plate, their appearance may cause a wobble in your stomach, but stick it out. You’ll be rewarded with a prime example of an Argentinian meal. Be sure to keep your camera handy in case you want to gross out your buddies when you get home.
Book a stay at a ‘love hotel’
If you start to feel frisky, why not book some time at one of Buenos Aires’ many ‘love hotels’. Not as ignoble as it might sound, some establishments offer five-star treatment, and rooms in these ‘telos’ are lent by the hour. You can have as much joy as you want during that 60 minutes — with your garments off of course. A telo is identified by a garish neon glow and the obligatory hedge outside the door to offer a semblance of anonymity. Enjoy a few hours with a loved one as you canoodle and frolick on waterbeds below mirrored ceilings. Those engaged in extramarital dalliances still make up a portion of the clientele, however these ‘love hotels’ have become a way for married couples to spice up their love lives or simply escape the kids for a while.
Visit a plastic Jesus
No, really. Honestly. At the surrealistic Tierra Santa, the world’s first — and maybe only — religious theme park, every hour on the hour, a 40-foot tall synthetic Jesus sprouts from the ground. After dark, spotlights cut through the river haze as Jesus rises slowly. You can either enjoy the canned Angelic chorus playing over the loudspeakers, or hold your ears shut and imagine a soundtrack of your own choice — perhaps the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey would be more appropriate.
When you’re tired of eating guts, dodging pickpockets at the futbol, and watching a plastic Jesus rise up out of the ground and back down again, you can relax and dine in style. After dark, the super-chilled Scandinavian-styled Olsen restaurant is popular with tourists. Sumptuous and extravagant, why not get a sense of Buenos Aires’ gilded past with high tea at the Alvear Palace Hotel. Then, blow your budget at El Bistro, often called ‘Buenos Aires’ most impressive restaurant.’ Whatever your taste or budget, one of Buenos Aires’ many eateries is sure to offer something to suit you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.