Córdoba might not get the fame of Buenos Aires, but it’s a fantastic Argentine city to visit on your travels, filled with interesting architecture, fascinating museums and some great places to eat and drink. We have listed the best things to see and do around the bustling city center.
Cathedral of Córdoba
Cordoba’s cathedral is perhaps its most famous landmark and therefore definitely worth a visit. Its beautiful, old facade has remained well kept for hundreds of years, and Sunday services are still held here every week. The cathedral is just as beautiful inside as it is outside, with a luxury interior painted by the famous Emilio Caraffa, an artist from Córdoba.
Opening hours: 8am-8pm Mon-Fri, 8am-12pm & 5pm-8pm Sat & Sun
Museo Emilio Carrafa
The artistic character of Museo Emilio Carrafa, located in the pretty Plaza España, becomes obvious from the outside –architect Juan Kronfuss’s neoclassical building is impressive in its own right. The exhibitions here change monthly, so it’s worth checking what’s on before you visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Opening hours:10am-8pm Tue-Sun
Mercado Norte is a fantastic find. This small and cheap food market sells a host of delicious typical foods, from empanadas to steak sandwiches. You’ll find authentic eats at an unbelieveable price. The market is also a great stop to buy fresh produce, so come here and get inspired to cook your own meals.
Opening hours: 8am-3pm Mon-Sat
The Manzana Jesuitical (‘Jesuit Block’) is an urban area located right in the city center. The block encompasses a chapel, a school, a church, the old seat of the National University of Córdoba and a residence. The Manzana Jesuítica was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 2000, along with five other Jesuit landmarks across the province. This beautifully kept corner in the busy city is a calmer place to soak up some culture and history.
Marque Sarmiento is a huge green park within Cordoba city. While you have to go through the hussle and bussle of the city to reach it, the park makes for a brilliant day out, especially on bright sunny days. Make the most of the duck pond and get friendly with the birds. Or get out on the pond with some friends in a peddle boat for hire.
Teatro del Libertador
The Teatro del Libertador is the country’s oldest and grandest theater, erected in 1891. A theater, music hall and opera house, this is a building so impressive that it almost doesn’t matter what you come to see here – the star is the theater itself. That said, great shows and performances are staged in Teatro del Libertador, so make sure to check the website to see what’s on.
Open: Box office 9am-9pm Mon-Sun
Drink in Aladdin’s cave
Check out El Sha, a popular but chilled bar with an Aladdin-esque feel. This place serves great cocktails, and with it’s trendy ambiance you’ll want to hang around for more than one drink. Once you’re done here you can head out to explore Nueva Córdoba, ready to embark on a night of bar hopping.
Open: 8pm until late everyday.
Address: Urquiza 2063, Cordoba, Argentina
What trip to Argentina is complete without a visit to a good steak house? A visit to Bar Yoly will remind you why Argentine beef is considered to be one of the best in the world. Unbelievable cuts of meat are thrown on the grill and served with love (but no frills). Expect the food to do the talking. A local joint, this is the perfect typical Argentine parrilla restaurant, or steak restaurant.
Open: open for lunch and dinner daily
Dance tango at Cabildo
Visit Cabildo, a much loved cultural center, and try your hand at tango. You may not find yourself a natural, as it’s not as easy to pick up this dance as other Latin American dances (salsa, for example), but it’s worth a shot. Classes start at 9:30pm every Friday, and afterwards you’re free to stay and practise, which is completely encouraged and a great chance to mix with the regulars.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.