Buenos Aires is strongly influenced by European culture, with its history of European settlers going back to the 16th century. Today the city has a vast range of museums, preserved homes of noted figures, bookstores, public libraries and cultural associations, as well as the largest concentration of active theaters in Latin America. We list 10 local tours to cover the best experiences within Buenos Aires.
These featured tours focus on the rich mix of Argentinian culture. From food and wine, art and architecture to the nightlife of the city. The walking tours will take visitors to the large number of landscaped parks and squares, as well the best areas to view its renown street art, with major murals to be found everywhere throughout the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Buenos Tours – Recoleta Walking Tour
This Walking Tour covers the traditional upmarket neighborhoods of Buenos Aires Recoleta, Retiro and the world famous Recoleta Cemetery. The tour guide will help you to navigate through the tombs, highlighting important mausoleums, works of art, historical figures and tell local ghost stories. This tour is a great way to experience the grandest and oldest areas in the city.
Buenos Aires Concierge
This is a unique concierge service which provides private and personalised city tours. Depending on your interests, the guide will track the local event calendar showing the main tourist attractions and also provide advise on the best restaurants, tango shows and milongas. Through this service Buenos Aires Concierge can introduce you to lesser-known places and can even arrange for you to share a meal in a typical porteño home. There is no minimum or maximum time for these tours (the shortest tour has been 2 hours and the longest 11 hours). Tours can be organised for individuals and groups (the largest has been 42 people).
Graffitimundo celebrates graffiti and street art in Buenos Aires, supporting local artists. A non-profit organisation, it runs tours in close collaboration with local street artists sharing their knowledge of the urban art scene. The tour covers the cultural and historical origins of this art form, and also the different styles and techniques on display. Picking out the city’s hidden graffiti hotspots and street art galleries, Graffitimundo tours also stop by studios to give you the opportunity to meet the artists in person.
Southern Beats Tour
This is a unique tour dedicated to showcasing the vibrant nightlight of Buenos Aires from a cultural point of view. Starting at 9 p.m., it starts off with local guides telling stories and interesting facts about their culture. The first stop is a visit to Folklore, a music venue and a cultural center. This place hosts shows every evening, and you get to experience a traditional meal at a table near the stage. The second stop is at the Tango Corner to attend a typical milonga. It consists of a big hall visited by the most famous milongueros (tango dancers) as well as amateur locals. This tour will to bring travelers closer to places, people and traditions that they might not have found by themselves.
Argentina is renowned for its excellent selection of wine. Anuva Wines holds intimate wine tastings offering boutique, hand-crafted Argentine wines, not often found on most restaurant wine lists or on the shelves of Buenos Aires supermarkets. The tasting includes five different boutique wines paired with five traditional Argentine foods. Visitors will learn about the entire wine making process, from grape harvesting to the scientific properties of wine’s chemical compounds, and from bottling to ageing and exporting. They also offer private tastings to people who only want to taste reds. This wine experience takes place in Palermo Soho.
Fuudis Themed Dinners
Fuudis organizes pop-up restaurants and art spaces open in secret places in six different neighborhoods in Buenos Aires. This program is organized in collaboration with a wide range of artists who combine gourmet dining, room design and artistic interactions to create an original culinary experience. The location and menu is unknown until the day of the event.
Foto Ruta is a photography-based tour and a creative way to see the city of Buenos Aires. Through a series of clues and tips about the area and in photo-taking, participants are encouraged to capture their experience on camera. The whole group will get the chance to view each other’s images at the end of the tour, a great way to meet fellow travelers.
The Argentine Experience
The idea of The Argentine Experience is to break away from traditional restaurant dining and to provide a unique blend of food and wine, local culture and social integration. Guides teach five classic Argentine activities including how to make your own traditional empanada, alfajores (Argentina’s national sweet) and the national drink known as ‘mate’. The highlight is the steak as they prepare it in a very different way that takes 24 hours of preparation.
Parrilla Tour Buenos Aires
Parrilla Tour Buenos Aires provide walking tours to the most authentic restaurants in the city where the locals eat out. You will learn about the culture and cuisine of Argentina and hear stories from Porteño chefs. The tour visits three different authentic local parrillas and restaurants, allowing guests to taste traditional foods at each stop and Argentine wine. You will also be taken to one of the best artisanal ‘heladerias’ (ice cream shops) in the city.
El Otro Porteno
‘El Otro Porteno’ are local walking tours that take place every day of the week in different areas of the city. The local guide will show you through the city’s neighborhoods and invite you to taste the food on offer from recommended restaurants and markets. The tours are open to anyone to walk the streets of the city as another Porteno.
By Eleanor Cunningham
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.