Wellington is well-served with panoramic views. There are various lookouts and summits to visit if you’re eager to catch a glimpse of the city’s most beautiful landmarks. When you’re passing through the New Zealand capital, make sure to set your sights onto these six picturesque points.
Mount Victoria Lookout
Whenever someone talks about the panoramic views found in Wellington, Mount Victoria is the first name to come up. Its 196-metre (643-foot) positioning right at the heart of the city makes it the ideal spot for sightseeing. Walk up the summit to put Wellington life into full perspective. If you’re looking for a place to watch the sunset, Mount Victoria is a highly coveted spot.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Te Ahumairangi Hill Lookout
Formerly known as Tinakori Hill, Te Ahumairangi Hill Lookout is an important historical landmark in Wellington. The site has played an significant role in Māori and European settlement history, and is also the place where some of the first radio aerials were installed in the city. The lookout itself, which is surrounded by walking tracks and picnic areas, provides spectators with a view of Pencarrow and the Wellington Harbour.
Mount Kaukau is easy enough to recognise: Not only is it the highest point of the city, it’s also where Wellington’s TV tower is situated. Choose any of its steep, well-formed walking tracks to reach the summit lookout. Your trek will be rewarded with a breathtaking perspective of the city centre, the harbour, Hutt Valley, Tararua Range, Porirua and the South Island.
A striking, underrated gem offering a full panorama of the Wellington Harbour, the Massey Memorial is located on the Miramar Peninsula, and is the mausoleum of former New Zealand prime minister William Massey. If you’re keen to make your picturesque stop a day trip, go for a walk around the memorial and then settle down for a picnic.
Another spot that continues along the Mount Victoria ridge line, Mount Alfred is a nice scenic destination for the most active of visitors. This is a popular place for mountain bikers, runners and hikers alike, and there are plenty of picnic areas for those wanting a quick pit-stop with a nice view to match.
If you’re looking for a hillside hiking spot with undeveloped tracks and scenic coastal views, Oruati Reserve is the place to go. The ridge is located at the entrance of Wellington Harbour, between Worser Bay and Breaker Bay on the Miramar Peninsula, so you’ll be getting plenty of sun-kissed views from its highest point. While you’re out there, make sure to check out some of the nearby historical sites too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.