With it\s diverse population and the sheer number of people that call the city home, Auckland is the setting for some of the best restaurants in New Zealand. Set a little ways out of the city, Mission Bay might lack the diversity of the inner city, but it more than makes up for that in location. Here is our guide to getting the best food in the area.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Andrea Ristorante Italiano
Serving simple yet delicious Italian fare is exactly what Andrea Ristorante Italiano strives to do. For dinner with a beautiful view, there’s no place better than this restaurant. Boasting a stunning outlook across Mission Bay, and using only the freshest of ingredients, diners can sit back with a scrumptious dish here and soak in the incredible New Zealand landscape. From pizza to pasta to burgers, this restaurant has it all. Andrea Ristorante Italiano also offers ‘do your own dinner’ cooking classes, perfect for diners seeking more than just your average meal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Midori Japanese Restaurant
A good Japanese restaurant is hard to beat. Every town needs one, and Mission Bay is lucky enough to have the fine folk at Midori Japanese Restaurant as their resident purveyors of all the classic dishes that you could want. Katsu curries and sashimi boards are as good here as any that you will find in the big smoke of Auckland, and the prices, due to being out of the city, are reasonable for what you get. If you’re in a rush or looking for a quick bite, you can do a lot worse then the sushi selection here.
Mamma Mia Pizzeria Restaurant
Just up the road from Midori is Mamma Mia Pizzeria Restaurant. Now, if you had to single out one type of cuisine that has a bit of a toe hold in Mission Bay it would probably have to be Italian. There are a few restaurants in the area specialising in hearty pastas and tasty pizza. On the pizza front we are of the opinion that Mamma Mia Pizzeria is leading the pack. That’s not to say that the rest of their offerings are in any way inferior to their pizza. For something a little more rustic, carnivores should have a go at the Fegatini de Pollo — chicken livers with ham, mushroom, white wine, onion, marsala wine, sage and cream. If you’re of the vegetarian persuasion the Vegetarian Cannelloni is an exceptional little number.
Yes, it’s a chain store, but as much as that might grate on the nerves of many an anti-corporation minded person, at the end of the day they’re good burgers, and they’re made with good, fresh NZ ingredients. I mean, you have to admit that when a fast-food restaurant is making their own (delicious) garlic aioli in-house, they are setting themselves apart from other, more global companies in the same sector. The vegetarian burgers here are what stand out the most, and the kumara fries are also particularly great. If you’re in a rush and have the burger craving hit your stomach like a tonne of bricks, then why not give this NZ franchise a go?
This is thai food the way you want it to be made, like they do it on the streets of Bangkok. The guys and girls at Thai Passion use only the freshest ingredients in their meals, and you can genuinely taste this in the cooking. The veggies are crunchy and flavoursome, and the seafood is — as you’d expect at a place that is literally a stones throw from the waters edge — absolutely on point. The best part is that if you can’t handle the thought of getting out of your slippers to pop down to their shop, they will home deliver on any orders over $40 NZD that are within 4km of the restaurant. This is very dangerous news if you’re a local.
A brief stroll down the road from Thai Passion, on the main drag of Mission Bay that is Tamaki Drive, you will find Portofino. This lovely restaurant is yet another place in this little area that offers wholesome Italian food. You’ll find Portofino restaurants all over New Zealand, but what they might lack in unique character they make up for in the reliability of their meals. If you find yourself craving pasta you can rely on Portofino to satisfy that craving so that you walk away with a smile on your dial.
Dos Amigos Cantina
If you’re in the mood for some authentic Mexican cuisine, Dos Amigos Cantina offers fresh Mexican food with an affordable price tag. After offering complimentary chips and dip to all diners, Dos Amigos Cantina follows with huge portions that will not disappoint. The lively atmosphere here makes it an ideal place to bring friends for a festive celebration or a casual dinner. The venue hosts popular themed evenings such as Chili Night Thursday and Sangria Sunday, and make sure to check their website for all the daily specials.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.