New Zealand is a country that boasts some of the most awe-inspiring natural and man-made monuments in the world. Here is our list of some incredible hidden gems that are unique to Christchurch that might surprise residents as well as tourists in this city.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Coastal Pacific Train
The Coastal Pacific Train offers an experience to its visitors that you are hard-pressed to beat throughout the whole of New Zealand. There are many famous trains throughout the world: The Trans-Siberian Railway, The Rocky Mountaineer in Canada… something about the elegance of the train makes it an ideal way of viewing the marvels of the natural world. With the Coastal Pacific Train, you can trace the scenic line where the vast mountains meet the sea while traveling in style and comfort.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ferrymead Heritage Park
The Ferrymead Heritage Park is a site that is committed to embracing and celebrating the past. It was originally developed in the 1960s by a group of heritage enthusiasts who wanted to create a place that celebrated and evoked the past for future generations to enjoy. As well as a reconstruction of an Edwardian town consisting of houses, schools and a theatre, visitors have the opportunity to ride in a steam train and use an old-fashioned printing press. The park is also home to many independent societies who stage their own exhibits such as ‘Ferrymead Aeronautical Society’.
Christchurch Botanic Gardens
No matter what time of year you come to visit the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, there is always a breathtaking spectacle to be seen. In accordance with the natural bloom cycles of its plants, the gardens will transform before your eyes into a picture-perfect display of the season. Here, as with much of the natural landscape of New Zealand, you can see first-hand how utterly spectacular the world can be just by being able to thrive in a protected environment.
In this cable car you’ll peacefully drift over the vast Canterbury Plains and impressive cityscape of Christchurch as its sprawls beneath you. Each pod is remarkably tranquil making this the perfect vantage point and way to travel over the land. This is an ideal and memorable way to celebrate any occasion, or just as a fun and novel day out.
The Court Theatre
The Court Theatre is an independent theatre company in Christchurch that was founded in 1971. Every season it hosts an array of lively and enjoyable productions, from Shakespeare to musicals. The team is committed to bringing high-quality theatre to Christchurch. As well as in-house productions, ‘The Court Jesters’ are an entertainment company that can be hired especially for occasions.
Paint N’ Sip Studio
The Paint N’ Sip Studio is a friendly, artsy, sociable night out that you’re sure to never forget. Arrive at the studio, grab an apron and a drink, chat with fellow artists and spend a wonderful two hours creating your very own work of art while making new friends. All skill levels are welcome at the studio and photos will be taken throughout your session to commemorate the experience of you bringing your own masterpiece to life. Plus, you can take your canvas home with you at the end.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.