Hot air ballooning is a great way to immerse yourself in New Zealand’s natural beauty. Whether you’re looking for that ideal romantic outing or you’d just like a bit of peace and tranquility, a sky-high tour of the country’s exquisite landscapes will always be an incredible treat. Here’s your first glimpse at the very best options you’ll have at your disposal.
Ballooning Canterbury offers Christchurch visitors an unique perspective of the Southern Alps and the Canterbury Plains. Sunrise is the preferred departure time for these guided tours, though start times may vary according to the time of year and the current weather conditions. If you don’t have a car, the company can arrange courtesy transfers from selected Christchurch accommodation providers. Tours are offered year-round, typically run for 4–5 hours and are hands-on — passengers are actively encouraged to help the pilot and crew to set the balloon in motion.
Hot air ballooning over the Wairarapa
The North Island’s Wairarapa region is renowned for its Balloon Festival, which is usually held around Easter and has been going on for nearly 20 years. The festival alone would be a treat for those who like to admire these airborne beauties from solid ground; but if you prefer to spend some time exploring the region from up above, you’ll be pleased to know there are guided tours you can explore. Red Balloons, for instance, has weekend flights departing from the towns of Masterton and Levin at dawn. This experience is primarily available from late spring to autumn (i.e. November–June) and will provide visitors with plenty of panoramas of the picturesque vineyards that tend to attract visitors to this part of the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Along with being home to the iconic Balloons Over Waikato festival, Hamilton is a fantastic go-to spot for hot air balloon tours. Kiwi Balloon Company is the main operator in the region, flying above the city to cross over the rolling farmlands and stunning Waikato River. On a clear day, your hot air balloon ride will provide you with great views of Mount Pirongia, Te Aroha and even Mount Ruapehu and Taranaki from a faraway distance. Once the balloon touches back on the ground and everything’s packed for the day, passengers are invited to celebrate their endeavours with some complimentary snacks and a glass of bubbly.
Sunrise Balloons Queenstown
Queenstown is much loved for its postcard-worthy lake and alpine vistas. Sunrise Balloons embraces the popular resort town’s stunning natural features by offering hot air balloon rides that depart daily. As with all other tours of its kind, this one’s weather-dependent; you can typically expect flights to depart at dawn in summer and early morning in winter. Passengers are encouraged to help the crew inflate the balloons before setting off and to bask at the various scenic highlights on show, including Lake Wakatipu, Lake Hayes, the Kawarau and Shotover Rivers as well as iconic Lord of Rings film sites like Mount Earnslaw (the home of Isengard).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.