The Coromandel is a highly sought after destination for New Zealand’s travellers, be it holidaying locals or passing visitors. Whether you’re spending some time familiarising yourself with the picturesque beaches or romantic escapes, you’ll want to find a good place to sit down for a meal. Here are 10 of the area’s best restaurants to get you inspired.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pepper Tree Restaurant and Bar
Bar, Restaurant, European, Oceanian, Seafood, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, $
Pepper Tree Restaurant and Bar has earned several accolades for its food over the years, and has equally won the heart of many travellers who have found themselves in Coromandel Town. Hearty seafood and beef mains are among its top specialities — the seafood chowder in particular is quite popular among patrons. Diners can settle by the sunny courtyard in the summer days or cosy up to the roaring fire during winter.
Coromandel Oyster Company
If you have a soft spot for fresh seafood, a trip to the Coromandel Oyster Company is a must. The roadside venue is located on the southern end of the Coromandel township and enjoys some lovely coastal views. Highlights include shucked oysters, mussel chowder, paua fritters and freshly harvested scallops.
Salt Restaurant & Bar
Bar, Restaurant, Oceanian, Contemporary, Seafood, European
Salt Restaurant & Bar is laid-back venue in Whitianga that is known for its delicious meals, beautiful marina views and friendly atmosphere. The slow-roasted lamb shoulder is made to be shared among two people — and is the ideal option for those wanting to sink their teeth into some classic New Zealand cuisine. Fish and seafood also feature heavily among their entrees and mains.
UMU Restaurant and Cafe
Cafe, Restaurant, European, Contemporary, Gluten-free, Vegetarian, $
During the day, UMU Restaurant and Cafe is a good place for brunch or a casual cup of coffee after exploring Coromandel Town. For lunch and dinner, the restaurant is loved for its pizzas, mussel platters, decadent desserts and a large assortment of mains and drink options to suit all palates.
Mercury Bay Estate Vineyard
Restaurant, Wine Seller, Contemporary, Oceanian, European, Wine, $
The restaurant and cellar door at Mercury Bay Estate Vineyard, in Whitianga, offers everything you could ever want in a wine tasting session: a stunning location, fabulous wines and a delectable selection of pizzas, cheese platters and charcuterie boards to keep all diners replenished. Sundays are burger nights and live music is played during the summer months too.
KORU at Rapaura
Cafe, Contemporary, Coffee
The tranquil Rapaura Watergardens are located just 30 minutes from Thames. Nestled within its beautiful blooms and garden art you’ll find the wholesome Koru Cafe, an eatery that’s renowned for its fresh ingredients (many of which are grown on-site), hearty soups and home baked goodies. Breakfast is served from 9 a.m.-11 a.m., lunch goes from noon til 3 p.m. and coffee and dessert are served until closing time at 4 p.m. The restaurant is seasonal and usually shuts its doors during the winter months (i.e. May-Sept.).
Miha Restaurant at Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort
Restaurant, Oceanian, Contemporary, $
If you’re looking for a venue with a luxurious flair, Miha Restaurant at the Puka Park Resort has got you covered. Its seasonal menu offers an interesting European twist to your usual Pacific Rim thoroughfare. The deck views are the perfect accompaniment for a summertime lunch while the beautiful interior makes for a lush dining experience.
Manaia Kitchen & Bar
Bar, Cafe, Restaurant, Contemporary, European, Beer, Italian, $
Another great option in Tairua is Manaia Kitchen and Bar. Whether you’re stopping by for breakfast, lunch or dinner, there are lots of tasty treats awaiting even the fussiest of eaters. Signature dishes include wood fired pizzas, wharf-to-table bluenose and a large assortment freshly baked desserts. Bookings are required for groups of six or more diners and there are also takeaway options available.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.