Environmentally-conscious travellers navigating the natural gems scattered around New Zealand’s Taranaki region will be pleased to know there’s an array of eco-friendly accommodation options they can stay in.
Whether keen to get up close to the mountainous national park, surrounding coastlines or peaceful farmland, here’s 10 great options sure to bring the right amount of eco-friendliness to your visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A tranquil, eco-friendly option that’s conveniently located in central New Plymouth. Egmont Eco Leisure Park is set within seven acres of scenic parkland and features an array of communal self-catering facilities, a conference space, an adventure course and enough accommodation options to cater to some 150 guests. To give you an idea, travellers can choose from a range of shared rooms, single rooms, chalet dorms, family rooms, apartment units and a tranquil campsite with facilities for both camper vans and tent-based campers.
Nestled in a picturesque rural setting overlooking Lake Rotorangi, Ariari Lodge is a good option for the eco-conscious traveller yearning for a luxurious retreat. Its four wooden chalets are perched on an exquisite ridge lined by lush native trees, and peaceful birdsong is practically a constant throughout. All accommodation comes with fully equipped kitchens and the owners encourage guests to help them lower the local carbon footprint by recycling all food scraps, plastic and glass used on the premises.
Tucked right inside Egmont National Park, Dawson Falls Mountain Lodge offers an intimate experience for those wanting to view Mt Taranaki in its finest form. The lodge, which was originally built in 1896, lies on the southeastern slopes of the park’s majestic mountain and allows guests to relish their forested surroundings while immersing themselves in their chic, Swiss-cabin style rooms. Along with its selection of intimate suites, plus a collection of shared retreat rooms for families, writers and large travelling groups, Dawson Falls also has its own cafe and licensed restaurant.
Ducks & Drakes has evolved from a 1926 stately manor to various hotel and backpacker hostel iterations, and finally into the eco-friendly accommodation that we see today. This homely venue features a lovely landscaped courtyard, two outdoor decks and a lounge with a wood fire to cosy up to in the colder months. Ducks & Drakes also partnered up with Eco Hospitality NZ to implement sustainable programs and practices that ensure the accommodation is taking its commitment to the environment seriously. New Plymouth visitors staying there get to choose from a selection of cottage-style motel rooms, shared backpacker dorms and single, twin-share and double-rooms.
Tairoa Lodge & Cottage is a sheltered boutique accommodation and function venue just 15 minutes from the South Taranaki town of Hawera. With four opulent, self-contained cottages to choose from, guests are set to relish a true sense of tranquility as they admire the stunning native trees and gardens that surround them. The Kingfisher Cottage in particular is nestled just above the Mangatoki Stream and enjoys plenty of birdsong throughout the seasons.
Wheatly Downs Farmstay is a rustic lodge and backpacker hostel set right in the midst of a farm. If you want to get a taste of rural New Zealand, this is the place to do it: guests are welcome to feed the horses and pigs, wander down the country fields, take a dip at the nearby lake and can even help the farm owner walk the dog if they want to. As a bonus, a portion of the accommodation tariffs are donated to local environmental projects. There’s a selection of single, family and multi-share rooms as well as a four-sleeper chalet suite and tranquil tent sites to choose from.
Fitzroy Beach Holiday Park is a sheltered coastal escape that still manages to be quite convenient to New Plymouth city. Camping, glamping and cabin stays are the main options available; if you’re travelling with kids, there’s a playground and swimming pool right next to its facilities. Besides offering plenty of opportunities to walk, cycle and swim on the oceans, the holiday park is also quite committed to sustainability: in fact, New Zealand’s very own tourism quality assurance body, Qualmark, has given these premises a Bronze Enviro Award for their efforts.
Te Henui Lodge offers both short and long term stays for budget-conscious travellers spending some time in the Taranaki region. Rooms here are studio-style, fitted with their own en-suites, wardrobes, work desks, TVs, Wi-Fi internet as well as tea and coffee-making facilities. The lodge is convenient to New Plymouth’s city centre and its surrounding coastal and forested walking trails.
Sunflower Lodge is a recently refurbished hostel that enjoys plenty of tranquility. Given it’s located right next door to Te Henui Walkway, anyone who stays there will be able to spend some time admiring the native trees, birdsong and the rippling sounds of the nearby Te Henui river. Multi-share rooms, women-only dorms, a selection of single, twin and double-rooms as well as outdoor picnic and BBQ areas are some of the lodge facilities guests can tap into.
Oakura Beach Holiday Park sits right next to its popular namesake beach, as well as being within 15-minute driving distance from New Plymouth. The park has been awarded the Silver Enviro accreditation from Qualmark, and features a number of shared facilities that are sure to encourage all travellers to make the most of the outdoors: including BBQ and picnic areas, communal kitchen and easy access to a nearby playground and skate park. Accommodation options range from beachfront campsites (powered and non-powered) to self-contained sea view en-suites.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.