Queenstown’s scenic backdrop makes it the perfect location for a picnic. Whether you’re keen to escape the hustle and bustle of the dynamic township, or you’d like to revel in the central public spaces, you’re guaranteed to find your happy place in this cool New Zealand destination. To help make your decision easier, here are eight of the very best spots to visit.
St Omer Park
St Omer Park is just a few minutes’ distance from downtown, and has plenty of facilities to please local picnickers. Grab all your essentials from the nearby Four Square Alpine, and make your way over to Esplanade Road. As you venture into the park itself, you’ll have a choice between lighting up one of the area’s barbecues, or simply setting up station by the exquisite Lake Wakatipu.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Even closer to town, the tranquil Queenstown Gardens are a great place to rest up after a busy morning. Settle yourself by the grassed areas to soak up the beautiful blooms in your vicinity. If you’d like to stretch your legs, a walking trail will lead you towards Lake Wakatipu. The gardens also include an 18-hole disc golf course, a tennis and bowling club, and a seasonal ice skating rink that comes alive every winter.
Earnslaw Park is located right at the heart of the town centre, overlooking Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables mountain range. It’s a popular spot over the summer — people love to go here to kick back and relax with a good book. Every Saturday, the park hosts the Queenstowns Arts and Crafts Market, and the Winter Festival is also held in this location every year. Needless to say, there’s plenty to keep you entertained while you enjoy a scenic lunch downtown.
Kelvin Heights Peninsula
Stock up on supplies in Frankton before going on a 20-minute drive to Kelvin Heights Peninsula — there’s a New World supermarket at the nearby Remarkables Shopping Centre. Once you’ve reached your picnic destination, you’ll be rewarded with a stunning panorama of Lake Wakatipu. Fuel up, take a breather and, if you’re feeling up to it, head to the walkway for an easygoing 90-minute stroll.
A scenic 15-minute drive towards Arrowtown will lead you to the lovely Lake Hayes. Along with the exquisite lake and alpine views, you’ll get to relish a walking trail that’s quite popular among joggers and cyclists. Lake Hayes is also quite close to the Amisfield Vineyard and Bistro, so you could always add a bit of wine tasting to your itinerary if the occasion suits.
How about a road trip? Wilson Bay is right on the route from Queenstown to Glenorchy, making it a worthy contender for a picnic. The serene reserve is beautifully adorned with still waters all around. It only takes 10 minutes to reach Wilson Bay from Queenstown, and there are plenty of hiking and cycling trails for active travellers to enjoy.
Twelve Mile Delta
This one is also en route to Glenorchy, though it’s slightly further afield. The Twelve Mile Delta is located 12 kilometres (7.5 miles) from Queenstown, and comes with ample picnic and camping facilities. A pebble beach overlooking Lake Wakatipu is right on its doorstep, and there’s plenty of greenery to admire too. As a bonus, all The Lord of the Rings fans will receive bragging rights for feasting at the film site for Ithilien Camp.
A winding road, tightly enveloped by Lake Wakatipu, is the highlight of the idyllic 45-minute drive from Queenstown to Kingston. Right on arrival, you’ll have your pick of lakeside picnic tables to settle into. From there, you can just relax by the water’s edge as you marvel at the South Island’s breathtaking beauty.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.