Looking for an island getaway, but don’t want to shell out the cash for Hawaii or the Seychelles? Consider Guam, a gorgeous island with excellent weather almost year round that affords visitors pristine wildlife and beaches, excellent street food, history in spades, and even a magic show. Here are the top ten things to check out on vacation in Guam.
Located at the northernmost tip of Guam, Ritidian Point’s almost-white sand beaches and crystal clear waters are just the beginning of what there is to explore. Visit the 1,203-acre Guam National Wildlife Refuge, home to tree snails, fruit bats, and archaeological remnants of ancient Chamorro culture.
Ritidian Point & Guam National Wildlife Refuge, Yigo, Guam, +1 671 355 5096
Sample street food at Chamorro Village
Although the market in Chamorro Village is open every day, it truly comes alive on Wednesday nights. Eat local delicacies (like honey-drizzled banana egg rolls, or chicken or pork BBQ-on-a-stick), pick up some souvenirs, and watch traditional dances.
Chamorro Village Wednesday Night Market, 169 W Marine Dr, Agana Heights, Guam, +1 671 475 0376
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Although not located in the precise spot where the explorer Ferdinand Magellan landed on Guam in 1521, the monument pays tribute to the intrepid explorer and his crew, who—quite literally—put the tiny island on the map. Check out the old fortress cannons and nearby Catholic church from the Spanish era ushered in by Magellan.
Magellan Monument, 2, Umatac, Guam
Encore! is one of Guam’s most beloved attractions. Staring the magician Anthony Reed, circus artist Ian Faraonel, and a white lion named Rio, the show is held in a theater at the Fiesta Resort and has received rave reviews since its opening in 2016.
Encore!, 801 Pale San Vitores Rd, Tamuning, Guam, +1 671 647 7227
Although the top deck of the Fish Eye Marine Park affords spectacular views of the ocean and Gaum’s mountain ranges in the distance, the real show is below sea level. Here, 24 windows allow visitors to meet over 200 species of fish that call Guam’s waters home as well as the coral reefs surrounding the island.
Fish Eye Marine Park, 818 North, Marine Corps Dr, Piti, Guam, +1 671 475 7777
Go scuba diving
Guam’s technicolor coral reefs will give scuba divers an awe-inspiring glimpse into an alternate universe below the surface of the water, but history buffs also have something to dive for: the wrecks of German ship SMS Cormoran, and the wreck of the Japanese ship Tokai Maru, which were sunk by the U.S. Navy in World War I and II, respectively. The two ships are close enough for divers to touch at the same time.
Go dolphin watching
Schools of dolphins call the waters around Guam home, and plenty of sailing expeditions that will take you on a quest to spot these majestic creatures. Turtle Tours receives high marks for their expeditions, and the captains will even allow feeding the dolphins if weather and sea conditions permit.
The first Catholic church in Guam, the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral-Basilica was constructed in 1669 under the leadership of the Spanish missionary Diego Luis de San Vitores. Also well worth a visit is a small yet significant art museum operating above the church, with a rotating roster of art from a cadre of local and international artists.
Dulce Nombre de Maria, 207 Archbishop FC Flores St, Hagåtña, Guam, +1 671 472 6201
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.