Fiji is open! And if you’re looking for some tropical tranquillity, then look no further than this Pacific gem. Here’s all you need to know.
You can’t get much farther east than Fiji. Set right in the heart of the Pacific Ocean, this archipelago is full of natural wonders and ancient treasures. The country comprises more than 300 islands – only about 110 are permanently inhabited – meaning that it’s incredibly easy to carve out your own slice of paradise. Untouched white-sand beaches, rich azure waters full of vibrant sea life and lush forests ripe for exploration all await nature-loving travellers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
And then there’s the extraordinary island culture. People have lived on these islands for thousands of years, despite how isolated they are in the middle of the ocean. Remnants of that rich, and at times tragic, past can be found everywhere, from forts and temples to language and traditions.
We recommend learning these essential Fijian phrases before you go so that you can engage with the locals and respect their culture while also picking up a few words of the joyous local language. In addition, you should learn a little about the traditional Fijian Kava Ceremony, an event centred around the national beverage, which we highly recommend taking part in at some point during your stay.
Things to do in Fiji
There is no shortage of things to do here. You can explore tropical forests inland or relax on white-sand beaches, embrace the local cultures and learn about the fascinating history behind these islands. Read our in-depth guides on what to do on Kadavu Island as well as the best attractions across Fiji, or search through our bookable classes, tours and activities. In the meantime, here are three of our favourite Fijian highlights.
Fiji is one of the best places on earth to go snorkelling and scuba diving, and where better than one of the largest barrier reefs in the world? Home to countless species, from tuna and marlin to giant trevally, sharks and manta rays, this is a cornucopia of colour and marine life. The reef predominantly surrounds Kadavu Island, and its distance from large populations of people has ensured the coral diversity remains unspoilt. Also, visibility is excellent, and its cosy Pacific environment means the water temperature is perfect for underwater exploration.
While there are several magical national parks across Fiji – we recommend Bouma National Heritage Park and Colo-I-Suva Forest Park for forests, waterfalls and scenic hiking trails – there are none quite like Sigatoka, not least because it’s one of the smallest national parks in the world, at just 1.77sqkm (0.68sqmi). The fine greyish-brown sand here rises as high as 60m (197ft), formed by coastal erosion for thousands of years. Its ancient status has made it a rich archaeological site, with excavations revealing ancient pottery, stone tools and even human remains.
This eye-catching landmark is the largest Hindu temple in the Pacific and lies south of Nadi, a city on the main island. The multicoloured spectacle boasts Dravidian architecture, which is incredibly rare outside India. Indeed, the wooden artefacts adorning the building’s dramatic rooftop were brought over from India specifically for this spiritual hub. Take plenty of pictures from the outside, but remember this is a profoundly spiritual, religiously important place. So, treat it with respect, take off those shoes and follow the rules set out by the temple custodians.
Where to stay in Fiji
As you can imagine, in a country with a coastline like Fiji’s, there are many holiday resorts and wellness retreats scattered across the islands. We have guides for every kind of traveller, whether you’re looking for spa hotels, a good hotel for diving and snorkelling or just a classic beachside resort. Alternatively, you can browse through our extensive selection of places to stay to find your perfect home from home.
Divers, take note. This extremely well-priced resort on the small island of Nanuya Balavu is home to the only accredited freediving operator in Fiji, which runs two- and three-day courses from an island surrounded by coral and, unsurprisingly, manta rays. More than 7,000 species of fish live in the area, and expert instructors can take divers of all levels to caves, walls, caverns, pinnacles and coral gardens via drift dives, night dives and many more underwater adventures. The resort itself caters for every budget, with cheap dorms, treehouse bures (a hut similar to a cabin), reef bures and beachfront villas.
This dreamy island retreat is the perfect place to stay if you’re looking for peace and tranquillity. Explore the rich volcanic vegetation on the island, relax on the curved white-sand beaches or snorkel in the crystalline waters of the Pacific. At the resort, there’s an infinity pool, a tennis court, a cocktail bar and a high-quality restaurant dealing in international and Fijian-inspired cuisine. The treetop spa offers treatments, including deep-tissue massages, with mesmerising ocean views. There are 47 rooms to choose from – 10 stand-alone beachfront villas, 24 beachfront bures and 13 garden-view resort rooms. We recommend booking a villa or bure if you can; they all come with an outdoor shower, a plunge pool and a romantic thatched gazebo.
Stay in the heart of the second-largest city in Fiji and book a stay at this surprisingly budget-friendly hotel. With two pools, a spa, a gym, a restaurant and a bar, the Tanoa Waterfront Hotel provides its guests with all the modern luxuries you’d expect. The 92 well-appointed rooms are spacious and airy, with subtle yet stylish furnishings that tastefully nod to Fijian culture. Meanwhile, the seaside location keeps you close to a range of excellent beaches and snorkelling waters, or you can head farther inland to Koroyanitu National Park, which is less than an hour away.
Where to eat and drink in Fiji
Expect delicious but also healthy and organic cuisine when you visit Fiji, where you’ll find local farm-based ingredients combined with seafood freshly caught from the Pacific, as well as influences from East Asia to the north. There are loads of great places to eat, from fancy restaurants and low-key eateries to one-of-a-kind eating experiences, such as the Cloud 9 Pizzeria, a two-storey restaurant set in the middle of the ocean.
Head to the Warwick Fiji hotel on the Coral Coast to find one of the most picturesque restaurants in Fiji. Romance is well and truly in the air at Wicked Walu, with an atmospherically lit indoor setting and a postcard-worthy outdoor decking area, perfect for sunset spotting with a glass of wine. It also happens to be the most highly rated seafood restaurant in the country, which is no mean feat when you’re on an island with a population that has been catching and eating fish for centuries.
Tokoriki Island Resort houses a uniquely intimate restaurant that every visitor in Fiji has to try. The bure-set restaurant can only seat four couples, meaning the atmosphere is relaxed, and the highly trained chefs and staff can tailor your experience to you. The food is extremely authentic teppanyaki dining, with a small but mouth-watering menu that is as entertaining to watch being made as it is to taste for yourself.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.