The first major showing dedicated to Fijian art outside of Fiji, Chiefs and Governors: Art and Power in Fiji is a unique exhibition at the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (MAA) in Cambridge, UK. Running from 7 June 2013 to 19 April 2014, the exhibition not only enlightens visitors on the artistry and culture of Fiji, but also explores British/Fijian relationships during the 19th century.
One of the most developed archipelago nations in the Pacific region, Fiji is a country rich with natural and cultural beauty. Despite this however, knowledge of Fijian art is shadowed by obscurity around the world. Becoming a British colony in 1874, Fiji’s cultural heritage did not suffer to the extent of other colonised countries due to the first Governor of Fiji, Sir Arthur Gordon, declaring a policy to preserve the Fijian Tribal system. While violent clashes did occur between local chiefs and the ruling British powers, the efforts towards peaceful negotiations resulted in a mutual cultural harmony, evident from the many Fijian gifts received from chiefs and the trading of ornaments, cloths and weapons in this era. The display of these objects today therefore not only reveal the art and culture of both pre-colonised and colonised Fiji, but also enlightens observers of the relationships between the Fijian and British people.
The MAA’s exhibition Chiefs and Governors: Art and Power in Fiji is a rare opportunity to witness artefacts that tell of this history, and the size of this world first presentation is impressive. The preparation of this showing has seen several important institutions work together in collaboration, such as the British Museum, the Fiji Museum, the University of East Anglia, the University of Cambridge and the Arts Council England. Exhibiting a range of works, some of the displayed artefacts were sourced by the first curator of MAA himself, Baron Anatole von Hügel; Hügel travelled throughout Fiji between 1874 and 1877, and later convinced Sir Arthur Gordon to donate many government owned artefacts to the University of Cambridge, forming the foundation of the MAA.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A wide range of historic and artistic objects are on display in this illuminating exhibition, from jewellery made from whale ivory to decorative barkcloth, and from traditional wooden weapons to photographic documents of Sir Arthur Gordon. Through the assemblage and curation of these items, MAA provides an insight into a fascinating culture that is little known. The exhibition is part of a three-year research project called ‘Fijian Art Research Project’, which aims to unlock Fijian art and culture through systematically researching, analysing, documenting and identifying these artefacts. Through these efforts, the project hopes to shine a light on Fijian art and culture, and to draw the attention of both the academic and art worlds. Chiefs and Governors: Art and Power in Fiji will be on display at the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (MAA) in Cambridge, UK, from 7 June 2013 to 19 April 2014. Please visit the museum’s website for more information. By Andrew Kingsford-Smith
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.