Tourists cuddle koalas. Real Australians don’t. Read on for more 100% authentic, (not actually) government-sanctioned requirements for becoming a true Australia expert.
Ordered a flat white
While the traditionalists were enjoying their espressos and the Starbucks crowd were getting into frappuccinos, the Australians were busy brewing up the flat white. It’s not a latte, but it’s close. For a long time you couldn’t find it anywhere but in Australia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Trapped a yabby
Head ‘out bush’ with an Australian, and the moment you get near a creek they’ll be showing you the best way to scramble together a yabby trap. Even a bundle of sticks will do in a pinch, and, with it, you’ll soon be feasting on Australia’s smaller but equally delicious version of lobster.
Sat up front
You wouldn’t sit in the back and leave a mate alone in the front of the car, so why do it to your taxi or Uber driver? Just jump in the front.
Worn an Australian flag
Whether it’s board shorts, thongs or a hat, all true Australians have owned at least one item of clothing adorned with the Australian flag (even if it was just a gag gift at a work Christmas party). On special occasions, you can even forgo a shirt and just drape the flag around your shoulders.
Sweated on Christmas
Forget dashing through the snow, Australians spend Christmas sweating through their shirts. The heat makes the traditional roast a bit too much to manage, but you’ll soon realise that cold leg ham, fresh prawns and home made pav make a far better Christmas dinner.
Developed an opinion on regional beer
Regardless of where you end up in this great land, you must have personally decide which state brews a better beer, Queensland’s XXXX (aka ‘four X’) or Victoria’s VB. Warning: You run the risk of deportation if you suggest they taste equally awful.
Cooked a BBQ
To truly be a mate, you need to invite your friends over and cook some sausages and steak for them on the barbie. They will tell you you’re doing it wrong, but that’s just part of the time-honoured tradition.
Peed on a sting
When you spend as much time in the ocean as Australians do, the odds are stacked against you; you will eventually have to endure a jellyfish or bluebottle sting. While the lifeguards suggest vinegar is the official remedy, you’re more likely to have easy access to a full bladder than a bottle of vinegar. A little bit of pee will take away the burning sensation associated with the sting and replace it with a burning sensation associated with shame.
Called a friend a nasty name
In Australia, almost everyone can be your mate, whether you know them or not. For some reason, we show our true mates just how much they mean to us by referring to them with some of the crassest words in the English language.
Tripped over a snake
While we don’t have kangaroos in every backyard and sharks in every wave, the stereotype around snakes is actually pretty accurate. You’re eventually going to find one slithering across your path or relaxing on your window sill, coiled up by your pool or in one of a thousand other snake-friendly spots. Just keep an eye out.
Enjoyed a burger with egg and beetroot
Chucked a sickie
If you get up in the morning and the weather seems perfect, you’re well within your rights to take the day off work to do whatever you please, hitting the beach or watching some cricket are popular options. The trick is to call your boss and let them know you’re gravely ill. They’ll know you’re fit as a fiddle, but Australian rules of etiquette prevent them from saying so.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.