Canberra boasts a wealth of brunch spots serving light snacks and breakfast bites, for the perfect start to the day. Here’s our pick of the best.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
With more cafés, bars and restaurants per person than any other city in Australia, it’s no surprise that Canberra’s café culture is among the best in the country. Brunch is not just a meal in this city, but a key part of the local lifestyle. From trendy eateries to sun-soaked cafés, you are never far away from a frothy cappuccino or an avocado toast. Here’s our guide to the top 10 brunch spots in Canberra.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Cupping Room
The Cupping Room, owned by specialty roasters Ona Coffee, is serious about its caffeine. The talented baristas at this popular spot have won a slew of International coffee awards, but it’s the tasty food that continues to bring in crowds of regulars every weekend. The seasonal menu is always fun and fresh with surprising flavours; the gochujang aioli in the egg and bacon roll is a revelation.
Stand By Me
This cosy, sun-filled café is the brunch equivalent of a big hug. The unfailingly friendly staff serve up a multicultural mix of dishes on their menu, with the okonomiyaki pancake and the Egyptian-style ful as stand-out dishes. The café’s French toast special changes weekly and has developed a well deserved, cult-like following among locals.
Tucked away between the local Cook shops in Belconnen, Little Oink is charming and friendly. The retro interior pops with hanging macramé plant holders and a colourful mural surrounding diners. The menu is full of porky treats like Get In My Pork Belly and The Wild Boar Brekky. Vegetarians are still accounted for and will love the crispy corn fritters or the refried beans with smashed avocado.
Crowds flock to this popular inner-city café every morning for the impressive and entirely vegan menu. With breakfast burgers, blueberry pancakes, Tex Mex burritos and smoothie bowls, along with home-baked sweets and kid friendly dishes, even the biggest carnivore will be enamoured by this local gem.
Red Brick roastery opened its first relaxed café in Curtin, and has since grown into a small empire, with Red Brick beans served in cafés around Canberra and five shopfronts with the Red Brick name. The original shop in Curtin still serves up a very tasty bircher muesli, great zucchini fritters, and delicious toasties. Even more impressively, most of the ingredients are still sourced fresh from the organic grocers next door – you can’t get fresher than that.
Hall Village is only a 20-minute drive from the centre of Canberra but you’ll feel like you’re miles from anywhere. The kitchen at this cosy restaurant makes almost everything from scratch. Try the Crempogs (Welsh pancakes) or avocado on homemade soda bread. Finish off your brunch with a Red Brick coffee and a Bombolini doughnut.
It may be famous for the over the top and oh-so-Instagrammable freakshakes, but the rest of the Patissez menu should not be overlooked. Staples like Eggs Benedict have been upgraded with pulled pork – though also on offer are a wealth of healthier options, such as the Green Goddess Bowl, for those recovering from a freakshake sugar rush.
Busy Lonsdale street has no end of trendy cafés to sample but Rye has proven itself to be a reliable local favourite. The Scandi-chic menu features dishes like a smørrebrød open sandwich and Dutch skillet pancakes. The baristas serve reliably great coffee and there’s even a wood-fired oven to curl up next to in winter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.