Whitehaven Beach, which lies within Australia’s Whitsundays, is a paradise on Earth.
Untouched and uninhabited, this insanely beautiful beach is an absolute must-visit if flawless white sand and crystal-clear water is your idea of bliss.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Life’s a beach
Nestled in the Whitsunday Islands amid an abundance of dense rainforests and white-sand beaches, Whitehaven frequently tops lists of the best beaches on the planet. This lengthy seven-kilometre (four-mile) stretch of shoreline is lapped by azure waters and plays host to mind-blowing marine life. One of its best-known features, however, is its pure silica sand.
For those unacquainted with silica, it is the softest, most luminescent sand out there. These fine grains maintain a cooler temperature in the hot sun – meaning your feet won’t burn as you sink in your toes into it, pose for a selfie or two, or stroll along the shore.
Everyone is accustomed to dodging dog-ends during a day at the beach, but thankfully, that’s not an issue here. Smoking is banned to help maintain beach purity, an action that is increasingly being adopted around the world. It takes an estimated 12 to 15 years for a cigarette filter to degrade at sea, so this measure not only keeps the beach looking photogenic but has a massive impact on ocean health, too.
Unlike many other world-renowned beaches, crowding isn’t a problem at Whitehaven as long as you pick a spot away from the main thoroughfare. Boats have the luxury of their own stretch of sand, so the sheer size of the beach means day-trippers can spread out and enjoy unspoiled views.
No matter where you are in the Whitsundays, waters of the truest turquoise surround you, but Whitehaven arguably offers the best. There’s no fringing reef near the shore, which makes the water especially clear and gentle – it’s like swimming in Evian.
Thanks to its proximity to the Great Barrier Reef, marine life is in bountiful supply, and swimming off your boat is an exciting experience. Cruises provide stylish stinger suits to protect you from stingrays and other creatures such as jellyfish.
Keep your eyes peeled for sharks, but only because they are a cool sighting (don’t let their presence put you off). Most of the species you may encounter here are non-aggressive and disinterested in humans. Follow the basic advice readily available to ensure you stay safe while in the water.
Make sure you include Hill Inlet on your cruise, especially if you prefer doing activities to sunbathing. The beach’s famous turquoise water and white-sand formations are viewed best from a platform on Tongue Point – and are second only to the jaw-dropping panoramas from a seaplane or helicopter. Time your arrival with the low tide when the tide shift reveals its swirling display, showing nature at its most striking.
Exploring the Whitsundays is simple. Catch a speedy 30-minute catamaran ride from Hamilton Island, or to make a day of it, book one of the numerous tours from Airlie Beach and the surrounding island resorts. As always, do your research before choosing an operator and pick one with an itinerary that appeals to you.
Options include booking a day cruise, allowing a few hours at the beach, or an overnight sailing experience to get a sense of paradise living. Skipper your own boat if you feel like escaping tour groups.
If you’re a keen explorer, the island has plenty of mixed-ability hikes that will reward you with stunning scenery and a glimpse of the local wildlife – saltwater crocodiles, anyone?
Perhaps you’re more into games and water sports? Kayaking, windsurfing and snorkelling en route are just some of the activities on offer. If your main aim is to relax and take in the beauty of your surroundings, some tours make a beeline for the most secluded spots, where you can simply sit back and enjoy the scenery.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.