If you’re looking for a place away from the hustle and bustle of Melbourne, Phillip Island is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Victoria. And it’s no wonder, due to the wide range of opportunities and experiences for you to encounter. Here are the top 10 things to see and to do in Phillip Island.
The penguin parade
This amazing attraction is one of the most popular to visit in Phillip Island. Each night at sunset, you can witness penguins returning ashore after a day of fishing and reside in their natural habitats for the night. There are a range of organized experiences to choose from, such as the penguin parade, penguin plus, underground viewing, penguin skybox, and the ultimate penguin tour. You can also enjoy interactive and educational displays in the visitor centre.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vietnam Veterans Museum
The Vietnam Veterans Museum was built to commemorate the legacy of the veterans and to help and support veterans of the Vietnam War (1962-1975) after their return to Australia. The museum offers a moving light and sound show through the galleries, showing the experience of veterans in the Vietnam War with the words of the veterans themselves. There’s a huge collection of artefacts, including helicopters, vehicles and aircraft, interpreted with information, imagery and audio in a fascinating, emotional and educational journey. Guided tours can be arranged.
The chocolate factory
Panny’s Amazing World of Chocolate is a fun, interactive factory about all things chocolate. You can learn all about the humble cocoa bean through a series of interactive exhibits and displays and take part in designing your own chocolate that travels along a conveyor belt and is delivered to you, ready to eat. Take part in numerous activities, where you’ll be rewarded with a number of free samples. After the tour, you can experience the delicious chocolate cafe if you want more of the sweet stuff.
To experience the naturally captivating scenery of Phillip Island, the Nobbies Centre allows visitors to take it all in with breathtaking views of coastal scenery. Go for a stroll along the Nobbies boardwalk and witness the awesome blowhole – a spectacular sea cave that thunders during big southern swells. Take a moment to learn about the local area from the educational signage, experience the Silver Gulls nesting and their chicks, which can be seen during spring and early summer. Lastly, make sure you plan in some time to see Australia’s largest fur seal colony at Seal Rocks on Phillip Island.
Phillip Island Circuit
The Phillip Island Circuit has hosted some of the most major motor sporting events, such as Moto GP and the World Superbikes. The circuit also includes Go-Karts, or you can be driven around the circuit at high speed by an experienced race driver. You can even get a guided tour of the circuit, which includes access to trackside areas such as the control tower, media centre and pit roof. It’s a perfect day out if you’re a bit of a speed demon.
Phillip Island Wildlife Coast Cruises
Phillip Islands Wildlife Coast Cruises offers a range of different types of wildlife cruises, such as seal watching. There is also a twilight cruise where you will travel along the shores of Phillip Island, historic French Island and past the Port of Hastings while enjoying tasty nibbles and refreshments. A four-hour market cruise is also available where you visit Stony Points Market, which provides crafts, plants, artworks, tea and coffee.
Koala Conservation Centre
This eco-tourist attraction has been essential for saving the koala population of Phillip Island. The Koala Conservation Centre allows you to get up close and personal, while still experiencing the koalas in their natural habitat. A breeding program has been recently added to help conserve the population even more. With this, you can also experience the koala joeys take their first adventures out of their mothers’ pouch. This koala centre is great for photos and getting an educational experience about the creatures and their population.
Maru Koala and Animal Park
Get in touch with the native wildlife at Maru Koala and Animal Park. At this park, you can get up close and personal with some of Australia’s most native animals. This includes petting and feeding friendly kangaroos, walking with dingoes, patting koalas, talking to the parrots and holding a python snake. The guides will provide information about each animal, and you can also take part in hourly tours.
Cowes is the main town on Phillip Island, providing tourists with the best of food opportunities and local shops to explore. There is a playground, which the kids can enjoy, and multiple barbecue stations around for family and friends to get together. The Mingara art gallery is worth a look, as it holds both contemporary and indigenous artworks. Alternatively, if you want to learn about Phillip Islands heroes and cultural history stories, you can visit the Phillip Island Historical Museum. Here you will find exhibitions on geology, maritime history, aboriginal culture and the life of the early settlers.
A Maze’n Things is a whole world filled with optical illusions, mazes and puzzles that will entertain the whole family. Inside the uniquely designed building you will find the Illusions Rooms, a Mirror Maze, the Rotating Room, and a host of other exciting and challenging things to do, including the Look Out Slide, which is the highest indoor vertical slide in the Southern Hemisphere. A Maze’n’Things also has a mini golf course with an outside barbecue area. It is a great way for the family to spend a day together.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.