Port Fairy, while some distance away from Melbourne‘s center, remains a town of historic significance, filled with local art at every corner, quality produce, beautiful scenery, relaxing beaches and numerous eateries. Whatever the season, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Port Fairy.
Visit The Whale Bone Gallery
This co-operative gallery, run by six local artists, displays some interesting and unique exhibits such as sculptures, jewelry, paintings and much more. Located in the small coastal village, The Whale Bone Gallery exhibits the finest showings of creativity and talent in Port Fairy. Using a variety of media including paint, ink, textiles, glass, photography and stone, the artists demonstrate their passion for highlighting local handmade art.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover the Wharf area
Back in 1850, the Wharf area in Port Fairy was one of the busiest locales in the community. The Wharf was previously a central departure point in the state of Victoria for ships loaded up with wool, gold and wheat exports bound for Britain. Today, it is still busy around the wharf with luxury yachts and weathered boats sitting in rows down the marina. If you like going for walks, exploring, sightseeing, or even just to relax this is perhaps the best place to see and experience Port Fairy.
Relax at the Port Fairy Day Spa
Need a day to relax? This day spa invites locals and travelers to experience a wholly peaceful ambiance, with the promise of total tranquility and bliss. The Port Fairy Day Spa includes a number of soothing activities to experience, including massages, facials, a range of body treatments, water treatments, hand and feet treatments, and detox saunas. Their promise is to keep their customers the focus of the day and provide the best experience they can give.
Take a lesson at the Port Fairy Surf School
If you have ever wanted to learn how to surf, try the Port Fairy Surf School for size. At this Victorian South West Coast’s longest running surf school, sea lovers can take surf lessons tailored to every imaginable level of fitness in a safe environment with experts and friendly staff all around. If hitting the waves are not your thing, try out one of thekayak adventures or, if full water immersion is really what you are after, then a snorkel safari will be right up your alley. Whichever it is, a fun-filled day awaits for adults and children alike.
Check out 180 Miles by Bike Art Gallery
The ‘180 Miles by Bike’ art gallery is a newly opened tourist attraction, displaying more local artwork. Owned by John Davis and located next to his two holiday cottages, the gallery gives insight into artworks made by him and other artists around the area. The themes shown in Davis’s artworks are the ‘appreciations of life.’ The gallery also holds a collection of paintings, ceramics, vintage collectibles and much more, similar to the aforementioned Whale Bone gallery. It would be good to compare both galleries to each other to get a taste of the different works and similarities between the galleries.
Discover the History Center
History is an important aspect in the picturesque town of Port Fairy; it is filled with exciting and thrilling stories, which give insight into how Port Fairy came to be. The history center allows visitors to engage in their very own historical re-enactments in the courtrooms and explore photographs of the town’s history in the center’s gallery. The history center also features a number of changing displays covering various aspects of the town’s past. Additionally, the center sells a number of local history publications. This is the place for people who want to get a bit of background information on the town and get knowledge of local spots to sightsee.
Try out Merrijig Kitchen
The Merrijig Kitchen is one of the best eateries in Port Fairy, famous for its seasonal food sourced fresh from local artisan producers and farmers and its exquisite wine selection. Combine this with a cozy fireplace and dimly illuminated setting and you have yourself a wonderfully homely and atmospheric restaurant suitable for small groups of friends as well as a date.
Have a drink at the Caledonian Inn
If you love to eat, the Caledonian is one of the most famous and oldest pubs in Melbourne. The inn is renowned for its ginormous steaks – it is said that only one customer has ever been able to eat the whole steak. With friendly staff, the welcoming setting and efficient service, it is hard not to fault the place, especially when it is always packed with both locals and tourists. It features mostly classic Aussie pub meals and has been commended for its readily available cold beers. A great place to bring the family.
Visit the Glass Blowing Studio
Eclectic designs: Glass blowing studio is a regular attraction for both local and tourists, but mostly for tourists looking to buy handmade and unique pieces of art glass. You can also watch the process of artists making the glass and talk to the artists about their work. You can purchase blown glass, jewelry, cast glass and sculpture among the studio wares. If you are desperate to get a look, you can always have a look on their online site and buy jewelry and blown glass from there.
Explore Griffiths Island
Griffiths Island, where the Moyne River meets the ocean, makes for lovely one-hour easy walks with some good swimming spots around the area. Its photogenic landscape provides many photo opportunities for tourists and trails for ramblers to walk around the surrounding beaches and land. Griffiths Island also has a small lighthouse and protected mutton-bird colony; they descend on the town each October and stay until April. The best time is to go at dusk to capture the best scenic views and witness the wildlife.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.