The Perth Hills, known locally as ‘the Hills’, are famed for their bush walks, spring wildflowers, plunging waterfalls, quaint villages, epic sunsets, and amazing stargazing opportunities. Part of an ancient escarpment that runs through the Darling Ranges from Shark Bay to Albany, the Hills have some cool geological features and flora unique to the region, and they’re only 30-40 minutes from the city. Read on to find out more about why Culture Trip thinks the Hills are one of the best spots in Perth.
One of the best things to do in the Perth Hills is as simple as going for a hike. Just grab some water, choose a trail, and start walking! With the seasons all bringing their blend of magic to the hills, from spring wildflowers and summer shade to secret swimming holes, autumn colours, ‘pick-your-own’ orchards, and winter waterfalls, there’s always something new to see.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you prefer your sightseeing a little more fast-paced, hit the trails on a bike or head out to the power lines for a scenic four-wheel drive adventure.
One of the best things about winter in Perth is how the rain brings the bush and the waterfalls to life. Suddenly, everything is green and glorious, and the waterfalls are in full force, cascading from the rocky escarpment to the valleys below. Lesmurdie Falls and Sixty Foot Falls are the most epic, especially at sunset, but Hovea Falls, Noble Falls, and Serpentine Falls are also worth a visit.
During the summer when the waterfalls run dry, head to local favourite Lake Leschenaultia to swim, kayak, paddleboard, or just relax by the water.
Have a Drink
Let’s face it, there’s nothing quite like stopping for a drink after a long walk/drive/bike through the hills – especially when it’s hot out! Luckily, the Hills have plenty of options, from wineries and cideries to heritage pubs like the Parkerville Tavern and the Mundaring Weir Hotel.
Alternatively, skip the walk and check out the Bickley Valley Wine and Cider Trail. Surrounded by forests and lush rolling hills, go on a tasting tour or find a good spot to sit and enjoy the view.
Visit Local Markets
It’s not all countryside and bushwalking: the Perth Hills are crammed with award-winning farmers, along with numerous artisan markets that provide plenty of locally grown produce, food, drink, and crafts – a perfect excuse to explore the local towns and stop for brunch or coffee. Don’t miss the weekly Kalamunda Farmers Market, the monthly Kalamunda Artisan Market, or the quarterly Roleystone Markets, which are themed to match the seasons.
During harvest months, you can also go straight to the source, with plenty of farms and orchards selling their produce on-site.
Learn the History of the Hills
Since European settlement, the Perth Hills have been tied to the development of the region, from sawmills and quarries to farms, dams, and hotels for weary travellers.
From the Mundaring Weir and the Golden Pipeline to the hand-dug Swan View Railway Tunnel in John Forrest National Park, discover for yourself how the settlers used their ingenuity to shape Western Australia. The Kalamunda History Village is also worth a visit, with old houses, photographs, vehicles, and lots of great stories.
After dark, the Perth Hills have a different kind of appeal – from this extraordinary viewpoint you can see distant galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters, and learn about the secrets of the universe. 40-minutes from the city, the historic Perth Observatory is the perfect place for stargazing and astrophotography workshops.
In a nod to the traditional owners of the land and their heritage, the Perth Observatory is also home to a huge collaborative mural, the Worl Wangkiny, or Sky Stories, celebrating 60,000 years of the Noongar’s celestial storytelling. The world’s first astronomers, the Aboriginal people would use the night sky to navigate, tell the seasons, and explain the stories of creation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.