Eucalyptus is a genus of trees with over 700 species, most of which reside on the continent of Australia. They are one of the most prevalent tree species dominating the Australian landscape. The trees hold power in their presence, but eucalyptus oil – the result of steaming the leaves – is marvellously effective, offering many medicinal uses. Here are the most wondrous health benefits of eucalyptus, Australia’s miracle plant.
Eucalyptus oil is a decongestant with anti-inflammatory properties. It has been proven that this natural oil holds the ability to improve coughs and chronic bronchitis. Home remedies are the most common way for this; apply eucalyptus-infused rub to the chest area or inhale its vapour for an effective and natural solution to coughs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tackling colds and flu
Natural eucalyptus oil can cleanse the body of harmful toxins as it is an antiviral with antibacterial healing properties – this is mighty beneficial when it comes to dreaded colds and flu. Adding several drops of eucalyptus oil to a diffuser at night can provide great relief from cold and flu symptoms. Alternatively, add a few drops to a basin of hot water and inhale the steam for more immediate relief.
Bye bye, fever high
Eucalyptus oil is a trojan when it comes to lowering body temperature – and in turn, fever – due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It also widens blood vessels enabling better circulation and allowing the body to return to its natural temperature much faster. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to tepid water before soaking problem areas with the potion.
Serious stress buster
The potent aroma of eucalyptus oil can act as a much needed stimulant. Acting as a mood booster, the natural oil can allegedly refreshen, revitalise and de-stress users. Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil in a diffuser and let nature do its thing. Alternatively, take a direct inhalation of the essential oil for an instant boost.
Love your locks
Healthy hair is an easy feat if you use eucalyptus oil. This super effective hair care treatment is a DIY task worth giving a go. Add a couple of drops to olive oil, argan or other natural oils and apply one hour before washing hair. This natural treatment will give hair a great bounce and shine. Added bonus: eucalyptus oil is also the chemical-free remedy for hair lice!
Say goodbye to bad breath
Because eucalyptus oil is an antiseptic, its great for those wishing to say goodbye to bad breath, naturally. This wonder oil is packed with ingredients that help kill the bacteria which cause bad breath. Just add a drop to your toothbrush before brushing teeth, or a few drops to any mouthwash.
Move over muscle aches
As the natural oil extracted from eucalyptus trees is anti-inflammatory, it is the perfect home remedy for achy muscles and general body pains. This treatment can be the perfect cure for just about anyone, including active people and even athletes; just add a good splash of eucalyptus oil to a hot bath and leave the rest to nature.
Eucalyptus trees are by nature extremely absorbent; due to this, there have been many instances where they have been deliberately planted to draw water from soil. This has been used as a strategy to reduce the spread of malaria in places such as Algeria, Europe and the United States.
A win for skin
Boasting a marvellous amount of natural qualities – such as being antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial – eucalyptus oil is wondrous for the skin. It can act as a natural moisturiser and even a suncream when home-blended with other natural oils.
So fresh and so clean
This powerful tree can even mean big business in the kitchen when cutting through grease and grime. Its antibacterial qualities make it a dream for home cleaning, and on top of that, its antifungal properties neutralise odours leaving everything as fresh as a daisy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.