More and more people are making the big move Down Under, from young post-grads to full-sized families, you don’t have to wander far in Australia to notice the mass multiculturalism that denotes this continent. Whether you’ve already landed or are about to make the jump, here is the ultimate expat’s guide to living in Australia.
An overview of Australia
Australia, or as it is officially named the Commonwealth of Australia, is a country which consists of mainland Australia, the island of Tasmania and over 8,000 smaller islands within its maritime borders; these combined make up the continent of Australia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The country has a rich history with vibrant indigenous communities and much cultural significance on a global level (Aboriginal people may, in fact, be the oldest continually surviving culture of people on Earth).
There are many reasons why people would choose to move to Australia. The country is frequently featured in the annual Social Progress Index which gauges ‘quality of life’ in various countries; as of 2017 Australia was ranked in ninth place.
Depending on location, the weather in Australia can be widely varied. While some cities live somewhat endless summers, there are also places in Australia that are prime ski-destinations. Regardless, pretty much every type of climate can be found on the continent, catering for all preferences.
Australia is classified as an English-speaking country, making it accessible to a large percentage of the world’s people. Saying that, as a multicultural nation, there are many different languages spoken.
Australia’s job market is stable and prosperous, with opportunities for both natives and expats in abundance. Visas are somewhat – in comparison to say, The United States – accessible and sponsorship of expats is also quite common.
Lifestyle is one of the key reasons people from around the globe make the trojan move to Australia. Australia is led on the principle of an egalitarian society, meaning everyone is equal. There is a vibrant LGBTI community; on November 15, 2017 Australia voted in to law same sex marriage by public referendum.
Australian’s are typified as being socially and culturally responsible. They are known to be laid-back and friendly with an emphasis on recreation, leisure and outdoor activities.
Australia’s healthcare system is one of the strongest, most practical and efficient in the world. Named Medicare, the system provides mainly subsidised health care for all Australian citizens and permanent residents. Medicare is financed by a Medicare levy, which is compulsory to all taxpayers, with the government subsidising the remaining funding where necessary.
There are many different types of visas that can be obtained.
The working holiday visa is one of the most popular ways for expats to experience life in Australia. This one year visa can be extended by one year after completing three months of farm work in Australia.
There are also skilled visas for those who have secured work in Australia and have been offered sponsorship by their employer.
Partnership visas are also available for those who are in long-term relationships, in which one of the individuals is an Australian resident.
Although there are many pros to living in Australia, one downside that is repeatedly brought to light is the cost of living.
Sydney ranked as the most expensive city in Australia in terms of cost of living and ranked 33rd in the world.
Sydney is the capital of New South Wales. It is Australia’s largest, most populous city and home to iconic sights such as Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge. It is the most expensive city to live in Australia. Sydney has a warm sunny climate with mild winters.
Melbourne is the capital of Victoria on the Eastern coast of Australia. It has a thriving arts and cultural scene and a varied climate of warm summers and cool winters with heavy rain.
Perth is the capital of Western Australia. It is known for its sandy beaches, arts and culture. This city has a Mediterranean climate of warm, dry summer and cool winters. Perth is the sunniest capital city on the continent with eight hours of blissful sunshine a day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.