Just north of Perth lies the picturesque landscape of Western Australia’s oldest wine region. The Swan Valley is full of surprises, ranging from the abundance of wineries and vineyards to explore to walking trails like no other, historic buildings and some of the finest foods in the state.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Boat Cruise from Perth CBD to Swan Valley
There’s nothing more spectacular than relaxing under the warmth of the sun and sailing along the blue waters of the Swan River from Perth City right through to the Swan Valley. Whether you want to enjoy a full day or half day, cruising along the river allows you to experience the beauty of the upper Swan River before heading into the famed Swan Valley wine region for an evening of food and wine. And for those taking the full day, why not upgrade to enjoy a full wine tasting on the river itself!
Oasis Supa Golf & Adventure Putt
For the energetic and for those seeking a fun day out, a trip to Oasis Supa Golf & Adventure Putt cannot be missed. Surrounded by the beautiful landscapes of the Swan Valley, you can play a modified version of traditional golf in Supa Golf, which involves playing nine holes with larger clubs and balls – don’t worry, you’ll get the swing of it. However, if putt-putt is more your style, the 18-hole Adventure Putt course is a more relaxing game that is played amongst stunning gardens and water features.
Caversham Wildlife Park
Set within Whiteman Park, Caversham Wildlife Park is a great place to spend the day hand-feeding or snoozing with the kangaroos. The park showcases ‘the largest private collection of native wildlife in Western Australia’, and you can touch possums and lizards, meet wombats and have a photo taken with the koalas while they chew away happily at their food. Caversham boasts roughly 200 species of fauna and thousands of animals, reptiles and birds to discover; you will never be bored listening to the many sounds of Australia.
Food & Wineries
Blending rich Indigenous history with strong European roots, the Swan Valley is famed for being home to Australia’s oldest wine valley, with a 32-kilometre loop full of food and wine to indulge in. Be sure to try the fortified wines, Shiraz and Verdelho, from this region. However, if you are more into organic wines – red or white – or the French, Italian or Dalmatian influence, there are plenty of wineries within the region that offer exactly that.
If you haven’t figured it out yet, the Swan Valley is full of surprises all just moments away from each other, and this is no exception. Discover the buzzing world of Windarra Honey, a family-run business set in the heart of the scenic Swan Valley. They offer free tastings so you can explore all the passionate flavours of honey they sell, and you’re sure to find something to please everyone – whether it’s to go on your toast or pancakes, or just to eat out of the jar.
Margaret River Chocolate Company
With the original store in Margaret River, the highly popular Margaret River Chocolate Company has nestled their second store in the heart of the other Western Australian wine region, the Swan Valley. That wondrous smell of chocolate hitting your nose as you spot the sample bowl upon entrance…could there possibly be any better place on earth than right here? Whether you are stopping here for dessert, grabbing something for the road, or starting your day here, the Chocolate Factory awaits.
Back in 1989, Alfonso Romeo migrated to Australia from Italy, bringing with him his family and his Calabria-famous cakes and desserts. Since European tradition is that the availability of nougat only coincides with the festive season, he realised the strong demand for nougat year-round. By 2005 the Mondo Nougat factory was opened to the public, providing the biggest range of locally grown ingredients in flavours that are generations old. However, they don’t just produce nougat; they also offer homemade biscotti, gelato and cakes, exactly how Nonna likes it.
The Maze & Outback Splash
From timber to hedge and tractor tyre mazes, there are many new challenges that will cause you to start questioning your rights from your lefts. At The Maze, you can get lost in one of the many mazes, play mini golf, and jump on the Giant Jumping Pillow before heading to Australia’s largest water slide playground. Whether you’re in the mood for a splash, plummeting down the inflatable water slide or standing under the giant tipping bucket, or you just want to relax by the waterside, Outback Splash at The Maze is bound to cool you down.
The Guildford Hotel
Bar, Cocktail Bar, Pub, Restaurant, Australian, Pub Grub, $
The restored white and grey beauty that is known as the Guildford Hotel was originally built in the 19th century and continues to stand today. It offers an array of cocktails and impressive spirits to quench your thirst, and you can explore the two stories of exposed brick and recovered décor before heading into the courtyard and beer garden for more local delights. Accompany your great beer and local wine with a feast for two at this popular bar.
Settle into the surrounding flora and fauna of the Swan Valley as you take the path less travelled. For a short exploration by foot or bike, discover one of the three towns that were established in 1829 upon settlement in Western Australia with the Guildford Heritage Walk Trails. However, if you’d rather get up close to the wildflowers and wildlife and reflect on the beauty of the region, then perhaps take one of the other various walks through Noble Falls, the Bells Rapids and Wandoo Heights.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.