From Japanese cuisine at Saké and Indian street food at the Spice Room, to the national dishes at Café Sydney, Sydney‘s dining options are vast. Here’s our guide to the best restaurants in the Rocks and Circular Quay in this Australian foodie destination.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Saké Restaurant And Bar
Head to the cobblestone streets of the Rocks to find dining, pubs and shopping. If you’re in the mood for world-class Japanese fare, look no further than Saké Restaurant and Bar. Choose a table, booth or traditional tatami style dining. Saké serves up contemporary Japanese fare, with a strong selection of cocktails. The moody lighting is illuminated on each table to highlight the diners plate creating a special effect when you look at your meal.
The Spice Room
In a dimly-lit dining room in Sydney’s stunning Circular Quay, upmarket Indian street food is served on crisp white tablecloths, that cover heavy, wooden tables. Come for the food, and stay for the impeccable service here at the Spice Room. Try the banquet menu if you’re dining in a large group. The menu boasts many vegetarian and vegan options including the signature dish House Black Daal. Opt to catch public transport to enjoy the picturesque views from Circular Quay train station.
Sit alongside the Sydney Opera House and enjoy the views of the Sydney Harbor while sharing meals and drinks with friends at this outside bar. Line up at the outside bars while you people watch the opera goers who walk past. The menu is casual pub fare with burgers and share plates on offer and several Australian beers on tap. Don’t forget your sunscreen, shade is limited.
You’ll find Café Sydney atop of Custom House in Sydney’s, Circular Quay. This popular rooftop restaurant draws a business crowd at lunchtime and guests celebrating a special occasion at night. The menu boasts modern Australian cuisine, and your classic signature cocktails. Request to be seated on the balcony to enjoy the sweeping views of the Sydney Harbor Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
The Glenmore Hotel
The Glenmore has been serving up great food, beers and views since 1921. Unsurprisingly, this classic Australian pub is teeming with patrons all eager to enjoy one of the best views of Sydney Harbor on the cosy rooftop. A tight staircase will lead you up to the third floor, where you can grab a high table with friends. Order the chicken parmigiana and nice, cold beer.
Nestled above Sydney’s Museum of Contemporary Art, Graze is the perfect place to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. With views of the Sydney Harbor Bridge, and a fresh modern Australian menu, this spot is hard to beat. Take in contemporary art exhibitions from around the world and Australia before you head to the rooftop for a dining experience. Make time to check out the MCA gift shop, on the ground floor, for souvenirs when you exit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.