On Australia’s East Coast, Byron Bay beckons – and when the sun goes down, the cool cats come out to party. Our local insiders know just the spots to hit, so join them, cold brew in hand, at the best pubs that this New South Wales gem has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Railway Friendly Bar
Once a railway station, now a watering hole, the pub’s aesthetics haven’t lost much in the way of its former layout – that’s including a ticket window that now takes beer orders and a beer garden that overlooks dilapidated railway tracks. Yes, it’s only a six-minute walk to Byron Bay’s main drag of beach, but that’s not even its selling point. Railway Friendly Bar hosts live music seven nights a week and has been doing so for 30 years. They’re not picky when it comes to genre either, so if Monday’s funk doesn’t do it for you, maybe Tuesday’s blues or Friday’s rock sessions will. Never experienced a pale ale down under? Don’t worry, with over 20 beers on tap, the pub staff are well-versed in finding you something that’ll strike your fancy. The chef’s signature beef patties are a local winner, though if you’re hearing the siren call of culinary adventure, order the smoked kangaroo. Recommended by local insider Amy Blyth
Need a pick-me-up in the shade, but don’t want to lose sight of the ocean? Byron Bay’s Beach Hotel overlooks the bay directly, replete with a pub and a spacious outdoor patio adorned with fairy lights. In the evenings, sun-kissed hotel guests and dazed drifters coming in from the beach gather here to dine al fresco on wood-fired pizza and generous portions of sticky pork. Come 7pm, the lights dim, conversation drops and the live music starts, followed by DJ performances that last well into the night. Wake up, hit the beach, repeat. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Stone and Wood Brewery
In 2008, local Aussies Brad, Ross and Jamie set up shop out of a modest shed in Byron Bay – their hometown. With enough frothy beer wisdom to fill barrels of the stuff, Stone and Wood is now a full-fledged independent brewery-cum-pub that hosts tours, tasting sessions and a beer club. The lofty warehouse houses 31 brewing tanks, a canteen (where you can meet the brew gurus themselves) and a chill-out garden in which to sample the fruits of their labour. If you’re short on time, just swing by the brewery and ask for a tasting paddle; you’ll get samples of the original Pacific ale, limited-release beers and a new brand of tequila-soaked brew that shouldn’t taste as nice as it does. Recommended by local insider Amy Blyth
If you can drag yourself away from the beach long enough to venture into town, keep that momentum going and head towards the Northern Hotel. While it dates back a few hundred years, this jaunt was recently refurbished to include a speakeasy-style cocktail bar, where you can put your sensibilities to the test with the infamous Devil Bird – a concoction comprised of dry gin, Campari and Elemakule bitters. The hearty pub food pulls in the punters as does the Backroom, which has seen the likes of PJ Harvey, the White Stripes and Bloc Party, and gives spots to local musicians every evening. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Suffolk Park Hotel
On the outskirts of Byron Bay, in the residential neighbourhood of Suffolk Park, you’ll find the Suffolk Park Hotel. While it’s a bit of a drive, it gives visitors the opportunity to see Tallow Beach where thousands of humpback whales often pass by on their annual migration north from May onwards (so, if you haven’t yet, invest in a decent pair of binoculars). The Suffolk Park Hotel is a family favourite for good reason, with an indoor sports bar, lofty beer garden (for that traditional pub vibe) and fully enclosed playground for the kids. Happy hour deals on cocktails start at 4pm and finish at 6pm. On an unrelated note, their anti-hangover smoothies are as delicious as they are effective. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.