If you’re in search of an adrenaline rush, or you simply can’t wait to get outdoors after Melbourne’s long winter, then book into one these activities. From forward abseiling off a seven-story building, to an aerial adventure in the Dandenongs, or watching little penguins waddle up the beach, these are some of the best outdoor adventures in and around Melbourne.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Suspended within the Dandenong Ranges is Trees Adventure—a ropes course that will have you soaring through the canopy. With your carabiner at the ready, you’ll tackle a series of aerial challenges, and with seven long courses and two short courses to choose from, there’s no shortage of fun. From flying foxes to tightropes, tunnels and vertical challenges, Trees Adventure will leave you feeling on top of the world.
‘Take a waddle on the wild side’ at Phillip Island’s world-famous Penguin Parade; the only commercial venue in the world where you can see penguins in their natural habitat. Rug up, take a seat and watch as little penguins wobble up Summerland Beach every evening at sunset. Choose between the general viewing bleachers, Penguin Plus tiered seating or see the penguins at ground level in the underground viewing area.
Hot Air Balloon
Float up, up and away, and see Melbourne from a whole new perspective in a hot air balloon. This uplifting experience starts at dawn, just in time to see the sunrise as you drift over the city. See the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Eureka Tower and Port Phillip Bay from within the comforts of the basket, which can hold up to 10 people at once. Back on earth, you’ll receive an optional buffet breakfast including champagne at Pullman Melbourne on the Park Hotel.
Werribee Open Range Zoo
Embark on an off-road safari at Werribee Open Range Zoo, only 30 minutes from Melbourne. On your African adventure, you’ll encounter rhinos, giraffes, zebras, antelopes and other wild animals as you traverse the zoo’s open savannah. Not only will you get up close to these magnificent animals, but you’ll also learn about the threats they face and how you can help fight wildlife extinction.
Take a 15,000-foot leap of faith over Melbourne, and tick tandem skydiving off your bucket list. Melbourne’s only beach skydive will have you freefalling over St Kilda for a thrilling 60 seconds at a speed of 200 kilometres per hour. On the way down, not only will you experience an unforgettable sense of elation, but you’ll also be treated to sweeping views of the city.
For a truly unique experience that will leave you feeling like a member of the special forces, try Rap Jumping. The freestyle rope experience involves running down a seven-storey building face first, not just once, but three times. The most assuring part is that you’re in control of the speed in which you descend. Those looking to double the adrenaline rush can try night-time rap jumping, which provides the same forward rappel experience—but in the dark.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.