Nicknamed the Garden State, Victoria is home to an abundance of nurseries, many of which have flourished with cafés and gift shops. Culture Trip has weeded out the shrubs and gives a green thumbs up to this bunch. These are the best nursery cafés in Victoria.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cafe, Australian, $$
Situated on an unassuming street in Anglesea, on the surf coast, owners Peter and Pam opened McGain’s nursery in 2000 and added a food store five years later. In 2012, they opened the café, nestled in the vegetable garden. The café is open for breakfast and lunch and features a feast of organic meals, including their famous magic mushroom dish, ploughman’s lunch and a selection of cakes. Next door, the food store is bursting with fresh produce, and the nursery has a variety of fruit trees and native plants.
Rivers of Yarrambat
Cafe, Australian, $
Opened in 1981, Rivers of Yarrambat has flourished from a small nursery to an expansive complex, which now includes a café and food store, health and wellness centre, event rooms, and a gift shop. Adjacent to the pond, Rivers café is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea and offers a wide range of savoury and sweet dishes made with locally sourced produce. Favourites on the menu include the cheese and fresh herb pot bread—which is served in a flower pot—and their decadent hot chocolate.
Bayside’s largest garden centre has been a part of the community since 1920. Nowadays, Gill’s Nursery specialises in mature trees and exotic plants, and their expert horticulturalists are always on hand to lend expert advice. Set on almost two acres, the kid-friendly nursery also includes a lifestyle centre and Il Giardino Cafe, which can seat more than 140 guests and overlooks a display pool. The café serves all-day breakfast with a traditional Mediterranean-inspired menu and will cater special events.
The renowned Acorn Nursery is a family business that has been around for more than 30 years. Their collection of plants will add colour to any garden. With seven qualified horticulturalists, led by veteran nursery manager Tony, all your gardening questions will be answered. The nursery’s café, The Oaks Café, was established in 1996 and is open for breakfast and lunch. They’re famous for their free-range scrambled eggs during breakfast and lunchtime ribbon sandwiches, which are not to be missed.
Bay Road in Sandringham is an award-winning nursery which incorporates inspirational display gardens, landscaping solutions, a licensed café and a gift shop. Browse their range of gifts and homewares before visiting the café, which is housed in a Federation Cottage and features exhibitions from local artists. The café is open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch and can be booked for functions. You can even bring home Bay Road’s own range of preserves and jams.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.