The beautiful coastal town of Noosa is the perfect base from which to explore everything that Queensland’s Sunshine Coast has to offer – from island paradises and lush mountains to bohemian markets and deep sea fishing.
It would be easy to spend a holiday in Noosa, lazing on Noosa Main Beach, taking in the spectacular scenery from the national park and hitting up the myriad shops, bars and restaurants in Hastings Street and Noosa Junction – but there’s plenty more to explore on the Sunshine Coast. Take a trip to some of the region’s more remote beaches, including a unique 4WD road trip on the sand, or hike to the top of a volcanic dome. There’s also an abundance of picturesque towns and markets to explore, as well as adventures to be had at sea and on land. These are Culture Trip’s picks of the best day trips from Noosa.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This heritage-listed island is one of the Sunshine Coast’s must-see attractions – and is worth more than just a day’s visit if there’s time. It’s the only place in the world where towering rainforests grow on sand dunes, and an astonishing array of 72 different colours of sand have been recorded on the island. The famous Seventy-Five Mile Beach makes for a unique highway, while Lake McKenzie boasts crystal-clear blue waters and white sandy shores. Sign up for a day trip or camping trip with Fraser Tours, or set off on a camel safari with Camel Company Australia. For a self-guided 4WD tour, it’s an easy 90-minute drive from Noosa to Inskip Point, where a barge regularly departs for Fraser Island’s southernmost point. Make sure to check the ferry schedule ahead of time and, if staying overnight, check out Kingfisher Bay Resort or Eurong Beach Resort.
Back in 1979, three local artisans set up market stalls in the small town of Eumundi, a 25-minute drive from Noosa. Today, The Original Eumundi Markets boasts more than 600 stalls and 1.6 million visitors each year, making it the largest art and craft market in the country. The market runs every Saturday and Wednesday, and has everything from opal jewellery to ceramics and street food. For a real taste of the Sunshine Coast, try some raw sugarcane juice from Noosa Cane Juice. Make sure to also stop by the Berkelouw Book Barn – a treasure trove of new releases and over 100,000 second-hand books, including rare finds – and head to The Store Eumundi for gourmet goods, fresh food and live music.
The Great Beach Drive is one of the world’s most unique road trips, connecting the Sunshine Coast with Fraser Island through remote beaches, national parks and World Heritage-listed reserves of natural beauty. Clocking in at 380 kilometres (236 miles), however, it’s much more than a day trip. Get a taste of the epic trip by undertaking the first leg – a 90-minute drive by 4WD to Rainbow Beach. The Great Beach Drive starts just past the Noosa North Shore with the Great Sandy Biosphere and the coloured sands of Teewah. Continue to Double Island Point, where surfers can put their skills to the test on the world’s longest right-hand break. Then check the tides and drive through the sand dunes along the Leisha Track to Rainbow Beach. This 23km-long (14mi-long) beach is home to the spectacular Carlo Sand Blow, beach horse riding, and plenty of restaurants and bars. Epic Ocean Adventures offers a guided tour that includes dolphin-view kayaking.
The Sunshine Coast is home to some beautiful hiking – and a rewarding option is Mount Coolum, a half-hour drive from Noosa. The domed mountain, which rises 208m (682ft) above sea level, has a 1.6km-long (1mi) track that starts at the carpark on Tanah Street, and a return trip can be completed in around 40 minutes. Be warned, though – while the start of the track is gentle, it quickly becomes very steep. Spectacular views to the protected coastal plains from the top, however, make it a worthwhile trip. Afterwards, head into the beachside town of Coolum for a well-earned meal at Canteen and spend the afternoon lazing on the beach at Coolum Beach, or the more secluded – but unpatrolled – First Bay and Second Bay.
Deep sea fishing
The ocean waters around Noosa are a paradise for keen fishers – think snapper, perch, mackerel, mahi mahi and king fish. There are plenty of chartered services, offering everything from deep sea bottom fishing to light game and reef fishing for experienced anglers and novices. Noosa Bluewater Charters is one of the oldest charters and has one of the fastest fishing vessels in Noosa – the 32ft wide-body 300hp Cougar One. Deep Sea Fishing Co is another respected outfit, offering five-, seven- or nine-hour trips with a professional crew who will clean and fillet any fish caught. A day on the water makes for an excellent family day out, and is best followed by a feast of freshly caught fish on the barbecue for dinner.
This pristine area of national park, known as the “River of Mirrors”, is Australia’s only everglades – and one of just two in the world. It offers the opportunity to explore a 60km-long (37mi) wonderland of meandering riverway, lush rainforest and abundant wildlife. Birders and keen amateur ornithologists will be especially thrilled, as the area is home to more than 44 percent of Australia’s bird species, which add a magical, trilling soundtrack to a trip here. Dugong, turtles, koalas and kangaroos can also be spotted in the area. Everglades Ecosafaris offers popular “wilderness cruises” into the Everglades – choose the Cruise ’n’ Canoe to experience the mirrored waterways and subtropical rainforest from a canoe, or opt for the Serenity Cruise for a more laid-back view of the everglades. All experiences finish with lunch or snacks at cootharaBAR bar and bistro.
The Noosa Hinterland is a charming patchwork of tiny towns that stretches from Doonan to Eumundi, each of which can be easily explored from Noosa. There’s the creative hub of Cooroy, which is home to the Butter Factory Arts Centre, a gallery and pottery studio that exhibits the work of local artists, and the vibrant Cooroy Fusion Festival each May; Pomona, which cinephiles will love for the Majestic Theatre, the world’s longest-established silent movie theatre and live music venue; and tiny Kin Kin, which is a foodie’s paradise thanks to the many farms here that supply Noosa’s best restaurants. For a “paddock-to-plate” experience, pay a visit to the Kin Kin General Store. Wandering through all these towns is the Noosa Trail Network, which is made up of eight scenic hinterland trails that are popular for hiking, horse riding and mountain biking.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.