Byron Bay is hardly short of breakfast options, but which ones are worth it? These recommendations from our team of on-the-ground local insiders will leave you in no doubt where you should visit for your next morning coffee.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Love Byron Bay Crêperie and Chocolate Boutique
It’s nice to spoil yourself once in a while, right? Those in need of a sweet treat should head to Love Byron Bay for giant French crêpes with a range of toppings. Keep it traditional with lemon and sugar, or opt for one of the deliciously indulgent chocolate/fruit/cream combos. You can sit in or grab and go (on-the-go food for your morning stroll), and you might also like to take a look at the range of chocolate and cocoa products in stock from all over the world. Vegan options are available, too, so no one needs to miss out. Recommended by local inside Amy Blyth
Locals flock to this trendy spot for its high-quality, locally sourced brunch menu and incredible coffee. You’ll find a range of tempting egg dishes – florentine, benedict and the rest – cooked perfectly and served on slabs of organic sourdough toast, alongside other more unusual options. The vegan buttermilk pancakes covered in fruit and syrup are a must-try, and those looking for healthier options will fall in love with the wild rice porridge. Recommended by local inside Amy Blyth
Healthy doesn’t have to mean boring, and Combi’s range of raw and organic dishes proves it. Think smoothies, cold-pressed juices, superfood bowls and raw vegan cakes (all of which are sugar- and gluten-free), served in a refreshingly airy space with a slightly tropical vibe. There is also a good range of organic, fair-trade coffees and teas to accompany your food, and a refreshing commitment to avoiding all single-use plastics. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Suffolk Bakery is every local’s stopping point for morning cakes and pastries. You’re guaranteed to find something that matches your mood in their cakes, pies, pastries, biscuits and breads, baked fresh daily, from the large chocolate croissants to the brilliantly Australian Vegemite pastry scrolls. You can sit in – the rustic brick that houses the bakery is certainly a pleasant enough setting – but for a truly special experience, grab your goodies to go and head to Broken Head Beach for a breakfast picnic. Recommended by local inside Amy Blyth
Everyone will find plenty to enjoy on Folk’s plant-based menu – it’s a vegetarian/vegan’s dream, and the options are so good that even avowed carnivores won’t miss the meat. The café prides itself on using local, ethically sourced produce to create dishes that look (almost) too good to eat. Our local insider’s top tip is the buckwheat banana hotcakes, and the coffee is exceedingly good, too – you’ll be able to take it with your choice of dairy-free milks. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
In an area surrounded by good brunch options, Bayleaf is always busy. This speaks volumes about the quality of its food and its service – the staff are always excellent – but it does mean you may need to wait at peak times (booking is available for groups larger than five and is definitely recommended). Favourites include the “scrambled special” with chilli-marinated feta, salsa verde, greens and avocado, served over sourdough and the range of house-made teas on offer. The seating spills out onto the footpath in front, making Bayleaf a perfect spot for a breakfast in the morning sun. Recommended by local insider Sarah Reid
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.